VOGONS

First post, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I've got a whole bunch of different versions of DOS lying around. Here's some stuff I could find:

DR-DOS 6.0
MS-DOS 2.1
MS-DOS 3.2
MS-DOS 3.3
MS-DOS 4.01
MS-DOS 6.20
MS-DOS 6.22
PC-DOS 1.25
PC-DOS 3.3
PC-DOS 4.0
PC-DOS 5.0
PC-DOS 7.0

Why do I have all of it? I don't know. I've done some searching and I've discovered that only Windows 3.1 works on DOSBox without problems. If I were to install one of these old DOS versions on top of DOSBox, would it create any problems? The area that I assign DOSBox for a HD works as a sandboxed environment but would installing actual DOS on top of emulated DOS cause problems? Let's say I was successful in doing this. I also have a bunch of old Windows versions lying around. If I remember correctly, Windows 1.01 only works on DOS 3.X. As seen above, I have access to DOS 3.2 and 3.3. If I were to install Windows 1.01 on top of DOS 3.X which is installed on top of DOSBox, would it create any chaos it would it be just fine?

"You have entered a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need to instal DOS in DOsBox. The whole point of DosBox is to play DOS games without having to put up with the problems of MS-DOS.

Windows 3.1 and 3.11 run fine in DosBox without any modifications or changes. The only thing you have to make sure of is to disable XMS and to use normal core. Also you'll have to install SVGA drivers if you want higher resolutions/.bitrates.

Windows 1.x/2.x do not work in DosBox. (Someone mentioned they might work if you boot real MS-DOS in DosBox but I doubt it).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While DOSFreak is right (you shouldn't have to boot any DOS), you can: create a hard disk image file, use floppy disk images to install DOS to the hard disk image, and boot from that hard disk image. On that, you can install win 1.x someone claims. Installing Win3.1 and running Win1.x programs in win3 should work as well. You don't need a custom DOS for win3.1