VOGONS

First post, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

3D games like Daggerfall and most FPS games are difficult to get running smoothly.

Specifically, I'm trying to get Daggerfall and Last Rites (a game only released in Europe, found no info on it here) to run smoothly. System Shock works fine too, but I can't run it on the SVGA higher resolution that comes with the CD Enhanced version, as it slows down a lot. I got Arena running perfectly with no problems, but not Daggerfall or Last Rites or any other FPS.

To those of you who have the perfect settings that run your 3D games smoothly, would you please post the relevant settings of your config files?

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure your using a CVS build. You can fine one in my signature.

You gulikoza's or ykhwong's.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still haven't taken the plunge on trying Daggerfall. I tried Terminator: Skynet which uses the same engine, and couldn't quite get it running playably on my Atlon XP 3200+, so I don't have much more hope for Daggerfall (which would only potentially be faster due to not using 3D models for enemies and such).

Arena pushes my system, as I can get it running smoothly at full detail but then I get occasional keyboard lag.

Interestingly, Fade to Black runs quite well, even at 640x400 or whatever its highest res is.

Reply 3 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still haven't taken the plunge on trying Daggerfall. I tried Terminator: Skynet which uses the same engine, and couldn't quite get it running playably on my Atlon XP 3200+, so I don't have much more hope for Daggerfall (which would only potentially be faster due to not using 3D models for enemies and such).

Arena pushes my system, as I can get it running smoothly at full detail but then I get occasional keyboard lag.

Interestingly, Fade to Black runs quite well, even at 640x400 or whatever its highest res is

Wish I could say the same for System Shock at anything other than the standard resolution. Its playable at 320x200 (and just barely at 320x400) on my Athlon FX-55, but set a higher setting and you are playing another, not-quite-as delightful game called Count the Pretty Picture Slideshow!

Reply 6 of 12, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You must have DOSBOX pretty badly set up then. Future Shock is perfectly playable and fluent - and that was when I tested it at only 30000 cycles, while my AMD 64 3200+ can easily do 65000-75000 now.

Reply 7 of 12, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my Athlon64 3700+, System Shock is sort of playable in SVGA. The latest builds don't enhance much, however, since optimized screen updates don't apply there. Many areas are playable, but in some locations it's Hierophant's slideshow game.

Reply 8 of 12, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

System Shock runs ok on my AMD 64 FX-53 alright, but the sound is where the issues lie. 😒

Games like Doom, Arena and such I run at 34000 cycles w/ Dynamic and they are perfect. I've even run Duke3D and the results amazed me somewhat, although I would rather stick to Jonof's port for stability.

Reply 9 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have gotten System Shock to good playability in the 640 modes. 60,000 cycles is necessary though. If I overclocked my FX-55 I might get better results. However, playing it in VDMS is still a bit smoother.

Reply 11 of 12, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The vanilla DOSBOX 0.63 is many months outdated - the CVS builds let you double the amount. Of course, a P4, I noticed, is less able than an AMD 64 with the same Ghz amount. My P4 2.6 is far slower than my old AMD 2400+ too!