VOGONS

X-wing floppy install

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Lieven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got the floppy version of X-Wing here and want to install it and play it with DOSBox (CVS of 2006/01/31).
My OS is Slackware 10.2, so this is the way I've tried it:

Shell:
$ mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
$ dosbox

DOSBox:
Z:\>mount c /home/ikke/emulator/dos
Z:\>mount a /mnt/floppy
Z:\>A:
A:\>INSTALL.EXE

The X-Wing installer starts copying files and then asks:
"Please insert the X-Wing Disk 2 disk into drive A."

I go back to my shell and do:
$ umount /dev/fd0

I change the disks and:
$ mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Back to DOSBox, press ctrl-F4, but the installer keeps asking me for Disk 2.
Any ideas anyone?

Reply 8 of 11, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you installing from the original floppies? Many times I have seen a similar error and the installer was checking the volume label of the floppy. If it was a floppy that had been zipped for storage, be sure to use the -$ switch when unzipping to a floppy to restore the volume label, that is if it was zipped properly with the -$ switch to save the volume label. I think X Wing might have been one that checked for the proper volume label during installation. Access Software did as well with most of the Links products and GEM was another I remember that used that method too.

Reply 11 of 11, by Doc Angelo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just stumbled upon this thread in search for this problem. Lievens solution works.

I'd like to add, that you have to mount the directory (where all disks were copied to) as drive letter C: or D: and so on, but not as A: or B:. If you try it with A: or B: (which were the standard for floppies back then), the X-Wing installer asks you to swap the floppies, which will not work. If you choose e.g. D:, then the installer will not ask you to swap anything but will just install the whole thing in one run.