VOGONS

First post, by Guyper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I selected sound blaster, using the latest Dosbox, the game runs fine but no music at all. What went wrong?

Reply 3 of 7, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CD version of BaK used Redbook audio for music. You need to use "-usecd" and "-ioctl" options for mount. Type "intro cdrom" in DOSBox for instructions. Check if can play any audio CDs in your drive. If you cannot, verify that either analog cable from drive to audio card is connected or digital sound is enabled for that drive. Also, make sure that CD is not muted in sound mixer. That's all assuming that you have the original CD with all audio tracks intact. There was at least one legit release that had CD version without CD tracks -- that CD that came with Raymond Feist's book.

Reply 4 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vasyl wrote:

CD version of BaK used Redbook audio for music. You need to use "-usecd" and "-ioctl" options for mount.

See now what bothers me is why I don't have to do that. I just mount it like normal and the CD music plays.... 😅 I've since made an image of the cd, and I don't need to use any options when mounting that either.

Reply 6 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
`Moe` wrote:

CD images work without that option as DOSBox emulates the Redbook Audio part as well in that case.

Pre-imaging I didn't need the -usecd either. 😅

Reply 7 of 7, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had some odd issues without that switch but that could be related to the fact that I have multiple CD/DVD/emulated drives. Overall, "-usecd" looks somewhat redundant -- it should be possible to tell if mount path refers to a physical drive in that case even without it.