VOGONS

First post, by paj692

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strategy game, requires loading of fix8x14 utility so text is not scrambled. Problem, text that is supposed to be in 50 line per screen mode is in 25 line per screen mode and goes off the bottom of the screen! help! paj692 😕

Reply 1 of 2, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paj692 wrote:

Strategy game, requires loading of fix8x14 utility so text is not scrambled.

Does it require this on every system, or only on those which don't have an 8x14 font built into their VGA BIOS? 'cause many newer cards don't have such a font since it's only for the EGA modes that are rarely used nowadays, and most newer cards have too little room in their VGA BIOSes because of all the PCI-related crap they need to put in there.

DOSbox, on the other hand, does have such a font built-in. So try simply *not* loading your fix8x14 utility.

tearex

Reply 2 of 2, by paj692

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are right, Both my computers have Radeon All-In-Wonder 9800 Pros, which doesnt support VESA or 8x14fnt. I was running dos-box when all that my post stated occurred. Without the 8x14fix the text in the menus is scrambled. Soleau software website acknowledges that this is a problem with some OS and graphic cards and provides the link to the 8x14fix utility. After installing a duplicate autoexec.nt that I found on some blog the bolo program actually runs better under the XP dos prompt (cmd.exe) than it does under dosbox. Only problem is the computer sound using Windows XP cmd.exe, is a monotonous single tone. Either way I have to run the 8x14fix, but I have to choose, Do I want the sound to suck or the 50 line (in 25 line mode) to go off the bottom of the page. Tough choice for one of my favorite games. Don't get me wrong, I love dosbox, but I recently built an 'Old' system so I could play things that Dosbox and Windows XP cmd can't handle. Thanks for replying paj692 😉