VOGONS

First post, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'v played a lot M&M3 under dosbox long time ago...and saw that's it play ok then.

so, today i'v decided to give this game another run...under the latest CVS, but to my great surprise, i'v a huge problem : it's constantly crash...and i'm speaking about a serious one
- the game suddenly stop, frozen in the middle of action
- CPU usage rise to 100%, task switching becoming hazardeous.
- the only way to get out, is to endtask the dosbox process...and since the CPU usage is 100%, it's can take some time (even wanted to shutdown my PC...)
- sometimes (not always), i finally get an "memory cannot be read" from dosbox...

ok, maybe i'v messed with the *.conf ... so i'm using a new, clean dosbox with a clean conf file (deleting and using writeconf...etc)
-> same crashes
maybe, that's my save games ? so starting a new game
-> same crashes

starting really to worry here... since i'm absolutely sure that MM3 was working flawless before, i'v reinstalled the good old dosbox 0.63 in a clean, new directory :
-> no problem at all... all my old savegames are ok, played the game for 1h without any problem nor crashes.
switching back to CVS-060317
-> immediate crash, or after 3/5 mn of play.

additionnal info : i'v tried with or without sound, with IRQ set to 5 or 7 doesn't change anything. EMS or XMS on or off, without effect...

so, i'v searched the forum about this potentiel "known" problem, without sucess... we can found some sound related problems, mouse lag, ok...but nothing about the serious crash i have.

ther's really something broken here, something that was ok in 0.63 and make MM3 having a severe dosbox crash in latest CVS.
Also, it "may" affect other MM games using the same engine (MM4 & 5)..but MM3 is the only one i have at this moment.

if anyone can try and play MM3 with the latest CVS...and play it for a reasonable period of time (> 10mn), so let me know if the problem appear or if it's just me... thks

Reply 2 of 10, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, i'v tried all different cores..and still got the crashes under latest CVS.

anyway, under dosbox 0.63, the game works no matter the core you're using. as far i remember, MM3 never needed any tweaking...except playing with cycles, to get a smooth game (was usually too fast).

i'm trying to test different older CVS, hoping to find something of interest..

EDIT:finally, found that the game works ok with CVS-051009
but crash with CVS-060125.

Last edited by billoute on 2006-03-25, 20:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys,

I can confirm the problem. Using Qbix' latest build (with the new mixer code), my machine hung at 100% CPU within a couple of minutes.

I also played MM4 for about 15 min., no problem there.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 7 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

spend the whole sunday evening on it 😀
So yes it has been found and fixed.
you need builds of today or later to see the effect though.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

spend the whole sunday evening on it 😀

Amazing, you - and the other devs - have my greatest respect for your enthousiasm and discipline, really. I wonder how you can keep it up, besides a normal job/study and social life?

Anywayz, billoute, you can try my build to see if MM3 works for you too!

Regards,
Ronald

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.zip
    File size
    674.05 KiB
    Downloads
    138 downloads
    File comment
    CVS as per 03/28/06
    File license