First post, by RENTON

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

salutations,

info: dosbox 0.65
system:windows xp
version of game :1994 EA classics the complete ultima 7

ok, bear in mind im a complete DOSBOX virgin so need any help in laymans terms, apologies in advance for my blatant stupidity 😀
recently bought this game from ebay, dying to play it,
followed DOSBOX instructions, mounted drive, install, but get message:

Please remove your expanded memory manager before running ultima VII. Refer to manual etc etc

how can i please make this work step by step? i tried doing a forum search but im really none the wiser and need help.

many thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 17, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Renton....

you must change ems = false in dosbox.conf....manually or using a front end (a front-end is a visually interface that allows easily change of this kind of parameters in configuration file, for improving performance or requerimets like this case....)

you must de-activate EMS memory emulation and activate XMS...

go to dosbox.conf END of File, in DOS tag, you have the ems and xms definitions (initally all activated)

Last edited by Shed on 2006-04-04, 09:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 17, by Lochmacher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would recommend using EXULT instead. It is specific to U7 and Serpent Isle and runs both with optional improvements to the games (can be toggled off if you prefer original). http://exult.sourceforge.net/

Have fun!

Reply 4 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkfalz wrote:

I would recommend DOSBox actually. Exult is good and all but it's not really the original U7/SI.

I just had this conversation with Dominus in another thread. 😁

Reply 8 of 17, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, somebody talk me about Exult, also downloaded, and i agreed to Renton that Exult is better option for play this big game

anyway, in new 0.65v (i test 0.63 vs 0.65) the framerate performance seems increased (more smothness and right speed on animations) in Ultima 7 Forge of Virtue

about running without XMS possible? why not, but indeed, when XMS memory available....better use it ...

Reply 10 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shed wrote:

Yes, somebody talk me about Exult, also downloaded, and i agreed to Renton that Exult is better option for play this big game

As a gamer who worships the code that is Ultima VII, I tell you that is debatable. There are certain nitpicks from the original game which do not translate into Exult, mostly AI related.

Reply 13 of 17, by tgjk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem getting the cheat mode to work for Ultima 7... I tried the other advice up on the boards, but nothing seems to work. My dosbox doesn't seem to recognize the alt key for cheat purposes... So when I type ultima7 ABCD[alt+255] it just doesn't work.

When I click journey onward (in a new or old game) it exits to this message:

@Ovr=%uK, Line 36

and then goes back to the dos prompt.

I already tried making a cheat bat file, but it still exits at the same time to the same message.

Any help would be great!

Reply 14 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

make sure you don't mix exult and original savegames.
Seems your current game is botched by some of the original bugs or something you cheated.
Delete the contents of the /gamedat dir and start a new game and then try if your savegames still work.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 17, by tgjk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It doesn't work when I only use Dosbox.. exult wasn't installed on my computer. I've tried exult since then, but it doesn't have the same sound effects that I like... no sea captain music, etc.

I'll try deleting the files, but I think the problem is that dosbox isn't recognizing the alt key as a hidden keystroke... the cursor doesn't move for the alt255 part...

Any other ideas?

Reply 16 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

mentioning the conflict in gamedat between Exult and the original has become a habit. Sorry, since it doesn't apply to your problem.
I have attached a bat file that will correctly activate the cheat in Dosbox. Just rename it to run.bat and move it into your Ultima7 folder and run that bat file instead of Ultima7.com.
That is working for me. If it still doesn't work, there must be something wrong on your end. Reinstalling Ultima7 might help.
I wrote a small guide on how to install Ultima7 at http://exult.sourceforge.net/docs.php#win32_floppy
It's mostly about installing it on Windows but most Linux users should be able to adapt the instructions 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    run.bat.txt
    File size
    29 Bytes
    Downloads
    156 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception