VOGONS

First post, by jdrum00

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a great time seeing WAR2 again, but boy, I sure don't remember things happening as fast as they seem to now under DOSBox. I think I remember seeing some advice somewhere about how to slow down older apps running on newer machines, but it was in the same forum where someone later on said "nah, just use DOSBox". And now I can't find that forum again.

Anyway; the farms in the first scenario are getting built in about twenty or thirty seconds. The units don't seem to be moving unusually fast, but the pace of the game just seems faster than I remember. I'm having a bit of trouble keeping up, frankly. Can someone help me out by letting me how about how fast things happen in a known working instance of WAR2 (not battlenet)? It may very well be that I've simply slowed down and the game has stayed the same speed. 😉

Reply 1 of 2, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Create a config file (explained in the README) if you haven't already done so, then edit it with any text editor and modify the "cycles=" line. Simply reduce cycles to slow things down. This way you can get things to run slower than any physical PC ever made (if you so desire.)

tearex

Reply 2 of 2, by jdrum00

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah ha. Thanks. I had set cycles to "auto" because I was having so much trouble getting the choppiness to clear up. The good news is that the auto setting works beautifully for me in DOSBox 0.65!

The bad news -- or perhaps the second bit of good news -- is that I'm an idiot and Warcraft has a game speed setting. Duh. For poor old people like me with lousy memories: just press + or - to alter game speed while playing. 😜

Anyway, I'm glad you answered with the appropriate technical approach, because I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into this issue on another game someday. Thanks again!