VOGONS

First post, by Mr Fist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm new here. But enough about me.

I have the game the Dame Was Loaded and I am glad that Dosbox is able to play it but I just can't get the keyboard working...

I did everything from this old but similar topic.

Usually the keyboard works but no sound, the sound works but no keyboard, or neither. And I have used the sound patch...

Can someone please help?

Reply 1 of 7, by Mr Fist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello? Is anyone there?

Maybe I'll should've given out more...

I'm on XP and i've tried just about all the different dosbox versions available, and the keyboard just doesn't work...and for version 0.65, whenever I try to load the game it says: Can't find The Dame Was Loaded CD in Drive d, even though it is in there now.

I also tried using VDMsound with INSTALL.EXE and DAME.EXE but nothing comes up, just a blank screen, not even the install screen comes up. I think I'm using it wrong.

Someone please, please help. 🙁

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 7, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You copied mem.exe over wintest.exe as per that guide, and it still doesn't work?
I don't have the game to test it, unfortunately.
As for the CD not being detected in 0.65, what options did you use to mount the CD drive?
I'd suggest -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0

Reply 3 of 7, by Mr Fist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lofty wrote:

what options did you use to mount the CD drive?
I'd suggest -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0

I'm afraid I don't know what -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0 means... 😅

This is what i type up on Dosbox to install:

Z:\ mount c c:\ […]
Show full quote

Z:\ mount c c:\

Z:\ mount d d:\

Z:\ d:

D:\install

And by the way, to get some screens up, I have to hold down any key for a second til it comes up.

Reply 5 of 7, by Mr Fist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i typed that up like you said lofty (thanks by the way), and 0.65 manages to play Dame but still no keyboard...

I also tried just loading DAME.EXE by itself but no there is now there is no sound nor does the keyboard work 😢 with or without the mem replacement...

I've been thinking that i keep replacing WINTEST at the wrong time...can someone give me step-by-step instructions? Or if eL_PuSHeR or Jiri can help since they know how to do it.

Reply 6 of 7, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, reading that thread, it looks to me like you should:
Re-install the game (wipe the folder, then re-install it)
Select sound card in game setup
Replace wintest.exe with mem.exe
Run the game

And I guess try this with dosbox 0.61 first, as that's what they used.

If you've done all that, and it doesn't work, all I can think of is, either that guide missed something out, you have a different version of the game, or maybe a different version of mem.exe (I have no idea why mem.exe is needed - this must be the strangest fix for a game I've heard of...)

Only other thing, is make sure you're using normal core, cos dynamic can break some things.

Reply 7 of 7, by Mr Fist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nothing... 😵

Do I need to change anything with the properties?

I'm available to talk on MSN at 11:30 am (9:30 pm Aus) today if someone wants to help me straight up...