VOGONS

First post, by Massacabre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Legends of Valour opens fine, and I can do everything on it except begin the game. As soon as I do, the waiting screen pops up (the one with the hour glass inside the box) and it stays there and never loads the game. Any suggestions on how I could solve this problem?

Reply 2 of 10, by Massacabre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah. After I tried a few times using 0.65, I downloaded 0.58 to see if it would make any difference, but it didn't, it still wouldn't load. I'm loading lov.bat, because none of the other programs seem to do much else other than Readme.exe. I'm not sure what else to do.

Reply 3 of 10, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could it be a problem with the copy protection? The screen right before that one is where you are supposed to enter a word from the manual. If you enter it correctly you should see an orc with a thumbs up sign, else it should be a different picture. You can see what I am talking about by renaming the prot.fcb file to an .lbm extension and viewing it with something that shows those file types (old Amiga file format/Deluxe Paint on the PC).

Reply 4 of 10, by Massacabre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Copy protection? I don't know, I got a copy of the game off of Abandonia.com. I didn't see any sort of screen like that, it just goes to the hour glass in the box screen, and doesn't load anything.

I tried installing the game, but it says I need to "Insert Disk 2" for it to work.

Reply 5 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried abandonia's copy, works fine if I just drag lov.bat to my dosbox shortcut, using dosbox 0.65 default settings. It does take a few secs for the game to load, maybe you just have to wait a bit longer? What are your system specs? You might try experimenting with dosbox cycles a bit..

Reply 6 of 10, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried the abandonia copy too. It worked fine for me using the normal core. It appears to be the European version from US Gold rather than the US SSI version that I was using, but I don't think that makes much difference. It had been prepatched to bypass the look up the word in the manual copy protection.

Reply 7 of 10, by Massacabre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out what was wrong. Inside the .RAR file there are two other .RAR files with all of the files you need to unzip into the same folder. I only unzipped the first folder. After I unzipped the second folder, it worked just fine. 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by DrvEZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm I have a problem with LOV too,
I can launch the game with no problems at all, everything works great.
But when I go to a tavern or hostel to save, It just sits at the save screen (not frozen) I cant back out, and cant select any slots to save to. Not sure whats up with that any one experience this before?

Reply 9 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well I experience the opposite.
When going to new game. I can only select a game allready in use. Not one of the unused books.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 10, by DrvEZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm very odd indeed. I should mention when starting a new game, I can select a slot to save it to after charecter generation. But once in the actual game world nada. Not sure if its maybe a problem with the game (can't re-install it don't know what content goes to what disk, so don't know if its some wonky install option) I should probably just try and dig out the old 3.5'ers Im sure they are around 😒