VOGONS

First post, by SBeaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got windows for workgroups 3.11 running and I installed the soundblaster drivers.
I have dosbox.conf set up so that it will mount my win3.11 base directory as c: and my colonization cd (mounted image in daemon tools) as d:
(d: is mouted like this: mount D T:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -label COLONIZE

I installed (MCI) CD Audio in control panels drivers section and it said a cdrom was found and installed OK.

Playing sound works but cd-audio doesn't work at all.
I opened the CD in media player (that comes with windows) and it did detect all the audio tracks on it but when I hit play I get an error message saying there is something wrong with my device or something like that.

How do I get cd-audio working under windows 3.11? (dosbox 0.65)

Reply 1 of 7, by SBeaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SBeaver wrote:
I got windows for workgroups 3.11 running and I installed the soundblaster drivers. I have dosbox.conf set up so that it will mo […]
Show full quote

I got windows for workgroups 3.11 running and I installed the soundblaster drivers.
I have dosbox.conf set up so that it will mount my win3.11 base directory as c: and my colonization cd (mounted image in daemon tools) as d:
(d: is mouted like this: mount D T:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -label COLONIZE

I installed (MCI) CD Audio in control panels drivers section and it said a cdrom was found and installed OK.

Playing sound works but cd-audio doesn't work at all.
I opened the CD in media player (that comes with windows) and it did detect all the audio tracks on it but when I hit play I get an error message saying there is something wrong with my device or something like that.

How do I get cd-audio working under windows 3.11? (dosbox 0.65)

Solved the problem!
First i had the wrong CD label set when i mounted the CD, it should be "Colonize" not ""COLONIZE".
The reason the audio didnt play in media player is obviously it doesnt know how to handle mixed mode CDs.
Then when the game plays CDs, it doesnt support CD-audio over digital which I use so i put a headphone plug to my cd-rom and now I could play music.
I guess this is a shortcoming of windows 3.11 cd-audio drivers and not something in dosbox, though it can probably be solved some other way.

Reply 2 of 7, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Best way to mount CDs in DOSBox is really to make a CD image of the CD and then mount that file. So the CD isn't really needed and I never had any problems with it playing the tracks as I've had with real mounted CDs.

Reply 3 of 7, by SBeaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mounting didnt work for playing audio in this case though, it could be daemon tools making problems.
maybe it doesnt support analog audio playing in the latest version (which i need for it to work in windows x64)

Reply 4 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you create an image format supporting data+audio, that is, BIN/CUE or NRG (NOT ISO).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 7, by SBeaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

done that too.
There seems to be something wrong with the original cd which is somehow non-standard.
ultraiso which makes perfect bin/cue images for mixed mode cds like quake 2 and the likes, cant handle this disc and just creates a disk with data only.
i was using an NRG image originally when i wrote the question and that had working audio in it, the game plays if i run it in windows on another computer that has windows xp 32-bit.

by the way, even without cd-sound, the game is very very slow which svga 1024*768*256 under win 3.11 compared to running in windows xp where it is much too fast