VOGONS

First post, by StandingAndy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Win XP, my computer is 797MHZ, 320 MB or RAM, Intel pentium 3 processor, and a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 card. I had previously a few months ago installed the game Ripper with the help from this website - http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofilecabinet … ipper_Setup.htm

It had worked fine and was very fun to play. Because of some errors, I had to reinstall XP onto my computer, thus deleting my previous files. I had tried to run the setup again, from the same website, but it just won't work. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong. I had looked at others who posted their problems for the same game, but none helped me. I decided to try Dosbox. but when i mount my cdrom drive, and type install, it says unable to initialize video, then it says, load a vesa drive. I already have a vesa drive installed, can someone please throws some suggestions my way, i'd really appreciate it.

Reply 1 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had not known about such a website, and I have the game....so thanks!

I actually haven't gotten around to attempting to install it. When I do, I'll let you know how things go, as this game is pretty cool 😁 FMV is given a bum rap, but this game deserves some praise.

Reply 3 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok.....I had to run the install in XP. From there I let it run, but on the setup screen DO NOT CLICK TEST!

Once it was installed, in dosbox I installed the 1.03 patch (got it from the site you provided) and then ran it with "Ripper /v3" to disable Vesa 2.0 extensions. The game WORKED! \o/ Even in Hi-res video mode, it WORKED!

Man haven't seen this work properly in years, I'm still paranoid turning around hoping the video won't screw up like it did on my old 486 and pentium machines.

However did you say you can't get it to install EVEN in XP? That might be a problem, you might have to manually drag files and then run the setup to make the INI. If you can get it installed, using the '/v3' line fixes the "Cannot find video" error, but you can't use that switch on the install.exe unofortunately (it was added by the patch)

Reply 4 of 8, by StandingAndy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for getting back to me, I'm glad you got it working, it's a hell of a fun game to play. when i click installv.bat, like it say, it doesn't even run the cd, but my cd-rom works fine, maybe i didn't disable autoplay right? please let me know of any suggetions, ps.>> how did you install the game in dosbox without the vesa driver error coming up? get back to me whenever you can,
thanks again....

Andy

Reply 5 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I won't give up till your copy works, don't worry 😉

Instead of running the bat file, run INSTALL.EXE directly. It should come up with the dos window asking where to install it. Try this without VDMSOUND or DOSBOX. Just straight from windows, open My Computer and the CD and then try the INSTALL.EXE to get it installed first.

Once thats done, then you patch it with the 1.03 update and then you can use Dosbox (with RIPPER /V3)

I installed it perfectly from XP without any extra tools. I don't know how exactly to get the install functioning in dosbox, since the /v3 command will not work on the install. So try it from XP.

Remember - INSTALL.EXE not the bat file.

Reply 7 of 8, by StandingAndy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay, i used the Install.exe, straight from the cd, it brought up a dos window then closed instantly. I couldn't even get past that. But like I typed before, I got it working(after a few days) with the Ripper setup on that website, so I don't know why it's not working now. Also, I was wandering if you had a good suggestion to games similiar to "Ripper." With FMV, real actors. I've been Playing a game called, "Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within," which is another good FMV game. Hope to hear from you soon.

Reply 8 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StandingAndy wrote:

okay, i used the Install.exe, straight from the cd, it brought up a dos window then closed instantly. I couldn't even get past that. But like I typed before, I got it working(after a few days) with the Ripper setup on that website, so I don't know why it's not working now. Also, I was wandering if you had a good suggestion to games similiar to "Ripper." With FMV, real actors. I've been Playing a game called, "Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within," which is another good FMV game. Hope to hear from you soon.

Well you can't use the info from that website, as its meant for VDMsound not DOSbox. I'm not sure what they do with the setup, I got it working with just the regular dos installer. Have you tried running it in compatiblity mode?

You could try copying the files yourself manually, then running the setup from that location to set the sound and video options.

Another idea would be to get your hands on Scitech display doctor (find a link via google) and use that in dosbox to try to get that install working from there.