VOGONS

First post, by Kepas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried playing Dune 2 (v1.07, CD-ROM) in DOSBox 0.58, 0.63 and 0.65

I have full sound, the intro runs fine, I can choose the house I wanna play with... everything without any lags.
but when I click "Yes" after the description of the choosen house has finished, the game does not start. instead I only get a black screen.
changing CPU-cycles, frameskip and all still works, but the game does not start. I've already tried some configuration-settings, but all with the same result.

I hope someone has any hints, how I get Dune 2 to work properly.

Reply 1 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe a problem with sound setup? Try selecting a different sound card and check IRQ and DMA.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 3, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problems for me (v0.65, default settings).

Try writing a clean config file (config -writeconf dosbox.conf), then start Dune2's setup and chose SB Pro for sound output.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 3 of 3, by Kepas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thx for the quick answers.

my first attempt to run duneII was with a fresh installed an clean dosbox.conf-file. and I used SB Pro for sound.

but I still could not manage to run the original CD-version.
so I downloaded this one: LINK REMOVED

it works fine.
the only difference to the CD-game seems to be the scenario.pak.
this file from the download must be unPAKed in order to edit the several *.ini-files. the scenario.pak from the original-CD is written in plain text and contains all the data wich is split into several *.ini-files in the downloaded scenario.pak.
I tried to replace the CD-scenario.pak within the CD-game-directory by the downloaded scenario.pak and it works fine.
when I use the CD-plain-text-scenario.pak everything works fine exept I'm unable to play, as I described in my first posting.