VOGONS

First post, by bobbingbobcat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, this is my first day on and my first real week going back in time and playing all my old favorite games. I used DosBox to install Crusader No Regret, and ran it full screened and it worked perfectly. However, I tried to run Crusader No Remorse right afterwards, but when I try to run it the screen flashes red and I get "Unable to open file static\typeflag.dat, in file FILE\FILE.C, line 102." This is in D:\, after I type in D:\Crusader to run the game, even though I installed it in C:\Crusader and it won't allow me to install it in D:\. When I'm at the command prompt with C:\Crusader\, I try to type in Crusader once more to run the game but it says illegal command name, and so I type in dir/w/p to see everything in the directory and I see "Crusader.CFG", shouldn't it be Crusader.EXE??? So, this is my problem, I can't seem to get it to run, what do I do? If anyone can help, you don't realize how happy of a gamer I will be, as this was my favorite game as a kid. Thanks for reading this. 😀 😅

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

However, I tried to run Crusader No Remorse right afterwards, but when I try to run it the screen flashes red and I get "Unable to open file static\typeflag.dat, in file FILE\FILE.C, line 102." This is in D:\, after I type in D:\Crusader to run the game, even though I installed it in C:\Crusader and it won't allow me to install it in D:\

sorry this does not make any sense to me 😀 Could you write your mount commands and where you installed each game to? On first glance it seems that you instaled bot games into the same folder...

crusader.cfg is a "legit" file, the file the crusader game stores its settings in.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by bobbingbobcat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed Regret into C:\Regret folder, with Crusader being C:\Crusader folder, just like the default. For mounting, I think I first did "mount d d:\"so I could access the D drive, then I just typed in install, and that's it. The default path is C:\Crusader when you install the game. When I switch back to C drive and type in "cd Crusader" and then type "dir/w/p" to see all the files, I see Crusader.cfg as one of the files, not crusader.exe as would be expected. Both games are from the actual CDs.

Reply 3 of 5, by bobbingbobcat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hold on, I'm getting something new now. I reinstalled the game two more times, and on my second try, the file "crusader.exe" magically appeared, so I was like "OH YES, now my dream can come true", but now when I run crusader, just like with no regret, it gets choppy, so what I do is I speedup emulation speed. However, When I do, the game kicks me out immediately with a lame error, and when I try to get back in with the increased speed the screen flashes red and I get the error message "Unable to open file (null), in file FILE\FASTFLEX.C, line 38." Regret works fine when I turned up the speed, but this game doesn't like it. So now the question is, how do I accelerate it without getting booted... 🙁

-One very sad gamer

btw, thanks for your reply! 😀