VOGONS

First post, by JRW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive been trying to get Psycho Pinball working in DOSBox 0.65 but not having any luck, when I run the game in XP without dosbox it starts up but theres no sound and the game runs really really slow, when launching in DOSBox it gets to the Language select screen then when I press enter it crashes to the dosbox prompt with "Invalid Handle" , To be honest im not even sure what I should have the sound parameters set to (SET BLASTER= etc.) How would I get this info? Any ideas appreciated.

PC spec: AMD X2 4800+ / 2gb / WinXP SP2 / X-Fi Soundcard / Geforce 7800 GTX.

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Psycho Pinball works perfectly under DOSBox 0.65

Recheck sound settings.

Make sure no files are read-only (for setup to be able to save configuration).

DOSBox default settings...

SB = A220 I7 D1

To see the rest of default settings, recreate a default config inside DOSBox. To do this, type in config -wc dosbox.conf inside DOSBox. Exit it and edit this text file with notepad.

PS - I have just recalled... Launch setup for Psycho Pinball and select "automatic selection" for sound card settings. It *SHOULD* work.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 7, by JRW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh well I disabled read only attributes and ran the sound setup and chose Auto detect, now the game works with sound in XP (without dosbox) but its still very slow ,even the audio stutters because of it.. When I try to run it in DOSBox im still getting "Invalid Handle" right after the language select screen, I also see this in the status window: Warning: file creation failed: c:\oldgames\PINBALL\OTHER\HISCORES.FLG ,when I check the files the read only checkbox is cleared so not sure whats causing this error.

Reply 3 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then it seems you mounted something differently from the time of installation. Probably the program being unable to find the proper path.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 7, by JRW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I added this to the dosbox.conf file at the bottom:

mount c c:\oldgames
c:
cd pinball

The game launches so it must have the right path? ..it just crashes after asking for language (the codemasters screen appears before this). Also is this HISCORES.FLG a file created by Dosbox? I dont see this file anywhere in the psycho pinballs directories.

Reply 5 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. This is the hiscore file. It seems your installation is corrupted. Try reinstalling the game.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 7, by JRW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Create that file manually (empty file) and try again.

Ahh man it's so close! It wouldnt let me create the file because it already existed ,it turned out to be a hidden file so I deleted it , this worked and now the game launches and plays with proper sound (no more audio stuttering) Now the only problem is the game running at about 60% speed and also the graphics glitch with motion,for example the flippers have an interlaced look to them as well as the ball ,kind of hard to explain but when I launch the game in XP itself without dosbox these glitches dont occur but the game only runs about 20% speed with bad audio stutter.. its so close to playable in dosbox! Any other things I could try to speed it up?

Thanks for the help I've been dying to play this game... Almost there 😳