VOGONS

First post, by PhoBoS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've used DosBox for a few different older games... but I've been trying to play the original Syndicate/American Revolt games (or Syndplus), I can get it to run. Everything works, all the graphics, the intro, all the sounds, no problem.

However, whether I try to load it using the "synd" exe, or "main" exe, the game itself runs choppy. My characters run choppy-like, as in they'll sorta freeze for a split-second and then move a few more steps, freeze, skip, move, and so on. When I try to scroll in any direction it also kinda jumps, and gets choppy, not running smoothly. Even the music skips a little, it will lag when the game lags.

If anyone has ANY suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I REALLY wanna play this game again, and it's very difficult to play this way. If you can't help, please let me know. Thanks

Reply 1 of 1, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Syndicate works fairly well for me w/ cycles at 8000. It can get slow at times though. You can speed up the in-game bit by using dynamic core - unfortunately this makes the menus and movies go *really* slow. There are some CVS versions of dosbox that let you switch core at any time via a shortcut key. (ykhwong's build I think is one). If you want to try a CVS version, take a look at DOSBox SVN Builds .I think the shortcut keys are Ctrl 1 and Ctrl 3 to switch between normal and dynamic core.

Also, try different gfx output modes in dosbox.conf, make sure you're not using an advanced scaler, etc. Try setting frameskip to 1.