For starters:
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo
AMD AThlon 64 3000+ 1.81 Ghz
1gb PQI turbo DDR 400
Nvidia 6800gt 256mb gddr3 ram
Soundblaster Live! 24bit soundcard
Windows Xp
Using Dosbox 0.65 for warcraft 1

After alot researching and (mostly) useless tweaking today, I finally almost have this game running perfect.The main things I have found to work are:
I disabled hardware acceleration in my sound and audio options to allow me to play it at its normal speed and not over tax my cpu( Before I had to run the clock cycles super slow or run it at 100% cpu usage)
Using the "General Midi" option under the "Select music sound card" menu-
this made the background music sound perfect!
But as my title says, all the voices ingame are clear but have a semi harsh echo. The severity seems to change slightly by switching cards under the "select digitized sound card" menu, but all card options still echo.

Here is what I've tried so far(unsuccessfully) in dosbox config:
[mixer]
raising rate = 40000
raising blocksize = 6000/12000/24000<-----Laaggggy:)
raising prebuffer=30

[sblaster]
sbtype= tried all of them
mixer=true(default) / False
raising oplrate=40000

[gus]
gus=true/false
raising gusrate=40000

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true/false
raising pcrate=40000

[dos]
ems=true/false (currently set to false)

Afew other notes: I can run this program in vdms and command prompt.
Either one produces excellent voices when my "digitized sound card" is set to Pro audio Spectrum/16 in setup. BUT, the music is not nearly as good, the mouse scrolls/movement is way too fast, and both programs put my Cpu usage up at 100% the whole time Im running warcraft.

I've also tried setting my computer to "mono speakers" (as opposed to stereo) in control panel/sound and audio devices.

Any Ideas? 😜

Reply 2 of 2, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm. Works OK for me.
DosBox 0.65
Warcraft CD version 1.22h
SB 16/General MIDI
Mixer rate = 44100

It does it with GUS (Gravis Ultrasound) selected as the sound card as well? That's strange. Do you get the same problem with other games?
I'd think this was more a problem with DosBox and your sound card than Warcraft specifically.