VOGONS

First post, by Krvavy_Patejl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Game runs fine with the latest DOSbox, but whenever I try to click on credits, game fall with this message:
CRITICAL ERROR: FILE::RESET: D:\S2\GFX\PICS2\CREDIT00.LBM!
OUTER MAIN LOOP ERROR: FILE: D:\S2\GFX\PISC2\CREDIT00.LBM - ERROR 5 - ACCESS DENIED!!

D: is a CD from which I installed of course! I try to reinstall it, but this nothing changed!

Reply 6 of 17, by Merri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you run out of maps and you want to create your own map quickly, I've released a new version of my map generator: http://settlers2.merri.net/map_generator/

Still a work in progress but it already helps a lot in map making 😀

Reply 7 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

does the official map editor (which comes with the gold edition) work with the non gold edition?

latest patches applied for both.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 8 of 17, by Merri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The original 1.0X versions can't understand the maps made using the map editor that comes with the Mission CD and Gold Edition versions (atleast I think Mission CD had the map editor with it; not sure though). Seems the 1.51 update changed all the maps to the new format that is also supported by the map editor.

I think I do know the format well enough to be able to convert 1.51 maps to 1.0X maps... though I don't see much of a point in it 😀

Edit!
And now that my brains start working little by little, I guess Mission CD is also version 1.51 just like the Gold Edition is. Wonder if I could buy the very original version somewhere... I only have the original demo on my machine.

Reply 9 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so the original v1.51 works with maps made with the map editor?

i only have the gold edition... and a few of the bonus maps don't work because you cant build transport boats in skirmash in the gold edition.

Last edited by franpa on 2006-05-14, 11:57. Edited 1 time in total.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 10 of 17, by Merri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, yeah, you can only build ships in campaign games. I guess I should make a new version of my old campaign editor so it would be easy to replace missions with your own maps. And maybe make it possible to do entire campaigns too, not just random map replacements. Replacing just a campaign map isn't enough, because you need to setup all the merchandise and computer players in campaigns.

Map Editor can't make maps that has harbor sites in them. My Map Generator can fix that, it has a coastal castle fix in the tools menu (although the feature is a bit buggy atm).

Reply 11 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you fix that coastel castle feature anytime soon that would be great!!!

will you fix it?

my website

Reply 12 of 17, by Merri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The current code works too, it is just oversensitive: some inland castles also get the harbor flag (thus only a cosmetic bug). I've already done a better version of it on my computer, but I haven't tested it enough to say if it is perfect. It simply adds to all coastal castles the harbor marker. In the future I've thought to make it check for the water area as well, so it would only make harbors if the water area has two or more possible harbor sites available. With a quick test on one of my own maps it worked perfectly.

Reply 13 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

could you release that version via linking to it here for test purposes? and does your map generator update already made maps? as in add support for coastel maps?

my website

Reply 14 of 17, by Merri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, you can load any existing map into it for editing, actually you have to always do it like that because the generator isn't yet able to generate all the required map data 😀

- load a map
- Tools > Coastal castle fix
- save the map

I now tested the coastal fix a little more and it still did do a few inland castles. I spent some time thinking it over again and I think I've now figured out a "flawless" checking method. I just need to code first, hopefully won't take all that long. I'll release a new version once I'm done with it.

Reply 15 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

k thanks, let me know via PM when you've made a new release.

my website

Reply 16 of 17, by Merri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Repeating it here for anyone else that might be interested: a new version is now out and it can be downloaded at http://settlers2.merri.net/map_generator/

The coastal castle fix should now work perfectly, I tested it on a few different maps and some pure testing maps and it worked without a problem for them all. It correctly set back the harbor sites that were removed by the Map Editor from the normal expedition maps 😀

Reply 17 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that was quick... awesome stuff.

my website