VOGONS

First post, by gaming-girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't save, I can't load, I can play only the first level from each tribe.....and i didn't find a patch or something to solve my problem......please help me !!! 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢

My System: Windows XP with DosBox 0.65 (Pentium 4)

Reply 2 of 22, by gaming-girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure....
When I play the game on my old 486er, it's all ok. The problem is only in DosBox.
And this is a legal copy of the game, I have both original floppy-disks and the handbook, and there is no hint to a copy-protection...

Reply 3 of 22, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same issue, I had to run a file called L2-FIX.COM

It's probably questionable to point you to it...

There is a such a thing called google, and remember, a com file is not a website. 😉

Reply 4 of 22, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so you people are saying this game checks the original media as a sort of copy protection? if so then shouldnt dosbox be able to emulate it so that it works?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 5 of 22, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, dosbox should allow the game to authenticate real original media successfully but it will not emulate the presence of original disks when they are not. Dosbox is not a tool for cracking games.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 6 of 22, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

im aware its not for cracking games... i was just curiouse as to whether dosbox succesfully emulated the neccesary stuff for the game to work properly.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 9 of 22, by gaming-girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No chance.......

- I can't find L2-fix.com or L2-fix.exe
- mount the floppy is no problem, but the game don't want to make an access to the floppy
- Again...it's not a cracking game !!! I have the original Disks os the game and on my 486er it works perfect
- And all the CSV-Builds don't help me with my problem....

😢 😢 😢

Is there anybody playing Lemmings 2 - The Tribes in Dosbox without problems ??? When yes, Show me your input to mount the disks an to start the game...
thanks a lot !!!

Reply 12 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are certain ways to access the floppy disk, some can not be
emulated if the floppy is mounted with mount (int13).
Maybe creating a disk image of the floppy and imgmount-ing it
could help, maybe somebody else already tried this and can help
you with this (or have a look into the readme).

Reply 14 of 22, by gaming-girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

- No, I don't need a disk on my 486er.
- Since yesterday I tried with a new installed version in Dosbox. But yesterday I copied the installed game from my 486er to my pentium 4 computer to the folder e:\dosbox\l2. I copied all the files and all the folders. Then I mount the folder e:\dosbox as c:\, switch to l2 (cd l2) and start the game. But the problem is the same.....only the first levels are playable.

Then I tried to run this version directly in windowsXP (in dos mode), but there was an error...."an application tried to access directly the harddisk, and that isn't allowed"

Reply 15 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That's int13/int25/int26 access of the hard disk then, so they don't check
the floppy but something in their installation directory. Doesn't work
under xp, and works under dosbox only when you run the game from
a disk image.

Reply 16 of 22, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is how I remembered the copy protection, you could not copy the installation directory.
I am not sure, but the installation disks could be protected as well, so you may have to use floppy images to install the game to the disk image.

Reply 18 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A good start is Sample usage of a harddisc image in DOSBOX
(might be a bit outdated, don't know) and the information provided
in the readme about imgmounting and booting.

But maybe you just need to have the same drive/path combination
as in your original installation.

Reply 19 of 22, by gaming-girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I tried it with an Imahe.....
I made a Image from the hole l2-path (with nero) and then I mounted and started in this way:

imgmount c e:\dosbox\l2\l2.nrg -t iso
c:
cd l2
l2

I also tried it with an iso-image (l2.iso).
In both way I can start the game, but like ever, I can play only the first level of each tribe......... 😠

Are there more ideas ??? And anyway...I learnd a lot about Dos and Images and so on....thanks.