VOGONS

First post, by jck99nz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running a DOS program called Datatrak, designed to read in and display data from a dive computer. I've got the program running under DoxBox - graphics etc is fine, and it correctly displays an old log of diving data. Problem is, I get errors when trying to import new data (via serial port).

The program shows a progress bar, which acts as though the data is being received okay, but when finished it pops up a message "An error occurred during transmission".

The error message in the status box is:
Serial Port at 0x3f8: line error: break received.
This is repeated several times before getting the message:
Serial Port at 3F8: Rx Overrun!

Based on forum messages, I've tried upping cycles to 40,000, lowering baud rate to 1200, disabling UART buffering, tried hardware/Xon/Xoff control (you can tell I don't know what I'm doing here!). Nothing works.

I changed the dosbox.conf file line to read:
serial1=directserial realport:com1 irq:4 bytesize:8 stopbit:1 parity:N
and also tried variations (deleting everything after com1). I've checked the program, and it is set to receive data on Com1.

My system is Dell Optiplex GX270, Intel Pentium 4, 2.4GHz and 512MB RAM, running Windows XP Pro.

I've seen a few postings in the forum about serial port patches, but I lack the tech knowledge to understand them; I'd love some help solving this.

Reply 4 of 7, by jck99nz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I hadn't. I tried again with core set to dynamic, and 40,000 cycles and got the same result. Didn't seem to be any problem with CPU usage.
I start the data transmission by connecting a contact on the dive computer; it takes only a second or so for the 'progress bar' on the Datatrak program screen to fill, and for the error message to appear. This is about the time it used to take a few years ago, when I used to use it on a slower computer. However, in the DosBox status window, the 'line break' error message keeps on coming as long as the computer is attached to the serial port. Not sure if this is significant or not.

Reply 7 of 7, by jck99nz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I use the Windows Datatrak for viewing dive log files; unfortunately the connection between my dive computer and PC will only work with the DOS version.
Last night I tried another windows program (ADLT) which is supposed to work with the connection I have - it also came up with an error (but no information about the nature of the error). This suggests the problem might be more with my PC or port setup than with DosBox.
If anyone else on this forum has got Datatrak for Dos working on a fast computer, please let me know. (I've tried some of the patches like mpatch2.exe and ctbppat without luck).
Thanks for taking the time to help

Jeff