VOGONS

First post, by GetImOliver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As my first post in the forums, I have to say after poking around this seems like a really great community and it'd great to get any help from the members concerning my problem. So... Thanks in advance!

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP-M
Radeon IGP 320 M
512MB DDR PC2100 ram

Windows XP Professional
DOSBox 6.5
Interplay 15th Anniversary Anthology

The CDs come with an automatic loader to install any of the 15 games, and nearly all said they installed fine, except Fallout. But, I couldn't load and run let alone play any of them, in DOSBox or otherwise. I figured I would be better off installing the games completely thru DOSBox by mounting the D drive and installing the games from there. However, Fallout couldn't detect any drives to be installed on, and I've had similar problems with the other games. As DOSBox is an emulated system, is there a problem detecting usable drives to install on? Do I have to install them thru windows ? It seems like if I can install it OK thru windows I should have no problem running them in DOSBox, or is there something I'm missing? Again, thanks in advance to anyone who could help me in my plight!

Reply 1 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello. Welcome to the forums.

First, it's DOSBox 0.65 not 6.5

Second, how did you mount your drives? Write down all exact commands here.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems like if I can install it OK thru windows I should have no problem running them in DOSBox

Not true. It's best to install DOS games in DosBox, rather than installing in Windows and trying to play the game in DosBox. This is because if you do not set up DosBox properly it will not be able to find the games files in some cases.

Also Fallout is one of the last DOS games ever released and as such is a very resource intensive game. It runs very slowly for me on my XP 2800. The Windows version runs just fine thought (except for occasional palette issues).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 12, by GetImOliver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These are the commands I ran when I mounted:

mount D D:\ -t cdrom

D:

The drive mounts properly, as there is an install batch file called 15th.bat that I can use to create a boot disk, install/play games, view help etc.
When I choose to install fallout, it simply says "There are no available drives with enough free disk space!" and leaves me to wallow in sorrow. The same kind of message is displayed when I try to install any other game. Thanks for the help and info by the way!

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to use the -freesize XX parameter with the "mount" command.

Where XX = # of MB's.

DosBox by default only shows 110mb of freespace so that older games do not get confused by the tons of hard drive space available today.

Reply 5 of 12, by GetImOliver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

alright,

mount D D:\ -t cdrom -freespace 800

D:

15th

The installer loads up, I select Install Fallout, Fallout's installer takes over, and I get the same message. "No drives with enough free disk space!" =-(
I tried different quantities for the freespace flag, and I tried the size flag along with the freespace flag, and by itself, but they all lead to the same place. Thanks for the info, though, I'll remember to check the flags page more thorougly next time!

Reply 7 of 12, by GetImOliver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mount c c:\oldgames -freespace 800

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

D:

15th

The installer loads again, but all it detects is the original 110 MB, as if the mount C C:\oldames -freespace 800 didn't do anything. Thanks for the help, though, and it seems pretty obvious to me now. Silly me, trying to mount the cdrom with extra space ><

Reply 10 of 12, by GetImOliver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I got the game running, but it's still having stuttering problems, graphical and sound stuttering problems. I've tried increasing the CPU cycles until CPU utilization was at 100%, and I've tried messing around with the config file and frameskips. I know it's a very resource-intensive game, but there must be a way to make it run smoothy uder DOSBox! Maybe it has something to do with directx? Any help would be awesome, so thanks again!

Reply 11 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't want CPU to 100%. You want it to be 90% at all times and nowhere past that (which is hard since some parts of games may be more intensive than others).

Also make sure that your using dynamic core.

Reply 12 of 12, by GetImOliver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sweet, the game is running much better! There is still a little lag, about once a 1/2 second, and the sounds are pretty echoey. The game is pretty playable, but any more tips would be great. I cold live with the game at this level, but maybe someday I can have the fullscreen 60fps presentation =-D