VOGONS

First post, by userdave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the Wing Commander II Deluxe Edition (which includes Special Ops 1 & 2), and I'm running it on Dosbox 0.63. I've been able to get the Wing Commander 2 running fine using the following procedure (as suggested elsewhere in this forum):

(where "d:" is the cd rom drive that contains my WC2 disk)
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\wingco~1
d:
loadfix -32

This allows Wing Commander 2 to run fine, and I've briefly played Special Ops 2 without problems. The problem is in Special Ops 1. Every part of the game seems to work fine, except the letter "c". When I push "c" (to communicate with the base to let me land at the end of a level, for example), it immediately kicks me out of the game and back into dos and displays the following:

Error in LPN: communic.yu2, #7
D:\>

I've tried a number of different things (pressing "c" as soon as the level begins, pressing "c" after finishing everything and killing all enemies, skipping the first level), but it always kicks me out immediately and displays a similar message. The only thing I am sometimes able to change is the number (7 in the example above); if I press "c" at different times, occasionally that number will be different.

I have read the readme, the different game installation manuals, and searched as many forums as I could find, and haven't found this problem mentioned anywhere else. I'm open to any methods of comminicating that don't involve that letter, but the only way I know to finish a level requires it. Does anyone have any ideas?