VOGONS

Daggerfall

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 60, by mrfrodo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hiya Minimax,

I think the path that you quoted is the propper path. It seems that the shortcut is activating dosbox but not making the appropriate changes in dosbox. Can you explain to me how the shortcut activates dosbox and lets it know to use daggerfall.conf to make certain changes. I guess I am wondering what the general format of the command is.

here is the path

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe" -conf daggerfall.conf -noconsole

does the path here tell the pc to move to this directory and execute dosbox,exe? how is this execution related to the rest of the comand: -conf daggerfall.conf -noconsole

i figured out that the noconsole bit negates the display of the second window that comes up with dosbox.

so i guess that leads me to wonder how this [ -conf daggerfall.conf] gets dosbox to use that info to make changes.

i think that if i figure that out i am one step closer to understanding. then the next step is to figure out what all the configurations do in dosbox so that i can make changes as i need them.

this process is pretty interesting.

thanks

Reply 41 of 60, by Sheltemx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having some trouble getting it to work myself. When specifying /dfcd as the cd drive, I get the "incorrect cd" error when running daggerfall.exe When I use the guide here and run 'fall.exe z.cfg' the game runs, but I have no mouse or sound support, and cant do very much with the interface. Any suggestions?

Reply 42 of 60, by nowhereman158

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I had a problem with the mouse when NOT in fullscreen (CTRL+F10 does not lock the mouse in dosbox game window); otherwise the game works (ok it crashes quite frequently but I guess that's "normal").

The only problem is that I have a sorcerer character and can't figure out how to cast a spell 😖 - when I press Backspace it opens the spellbook, and if I press Q ("recast spell" according to the in-game help) it says "spell already loaded" and does nothing..

Here is my cfg file (dosbox 0.72, with Linux paths):

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
output=opengl
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures = ~/games/Daggerfall
memsize=40

[render]
frameskip=2
aspect=false
scaler=normal3x

[cpu]
core=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[joystick]
joysticktype=none
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount c ~/games/Daggerfall -freesize 1000
mount d ~/games/Daggerfall/DFCD -t cdrom -label Daggerfall
c:
cd DAGGER
FALL Z.CFG

Reply 43 of 60, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
mrfrodo wrote:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe" -conf daggerfall.conf -noconsole

does the path here tell the pc to move to this directory and execute dosbox,exe?

No, no moving anywhere. Just where to find dosbox.exe.

mrfrodo wrote:

how is this execution related to the rest of the comand: -conf daggerfall.conf -noconsole

Only DOSBox itself knows how the rest of the command line is to be interpreted. And that is all explained in the README-file.

mrfrodo wrote:

i figured out that the noconsole bit negates the display of the second window that comes up with dosbox.

Yup, and when things don't work as expected, you don't want to hide anything.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 44 of 60, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Sheltemx wrote:

Having some trouble getting it to work myself. When specifying /dfcd as the cd drive

Who told you to specify /dfcd ?

Last edited by MiniMax on 2009-07-13, 18:59. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 45 of 60, by ACisBroken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a new problem which I haven't seen mentioned in other posts.

I'm using the Dapplegrey frontend on a mac running osx 10.4.11

I got daggerfall to install properly, backed up the directory and then ran the dag213.exe update.

When I ran dagger.exe, I got to the screen where you choose the area of origin for your character. I tried the island in the southwest and the program crashed with the message:
"Daggerfall has encountered an internal error at 0.
The error reported was: Code: 213 not found in"

I tried again and got the same result.

I replaced the patched directory with the old directory and tried again with the same result.

I tried a different area, this time the one at the north of the map, and got the same area except it said "Code: 211"

Anyone know why this would be happening?

Reply 47 of 60, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s … owtopic=1014336
maybe this is of help.
(e.g not installing into c:\dagger causes problems) (so not sticking to the instructions)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 48 of 60, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using DOSBox 0.73 on WinXP SP3 and following Bethesda's instructions I installed Daggerfall and it's working perfectly by running dagger.exe.
So stick to their instructions unless you really know what you are doing (but then you wouldn't have to ask here)! 😎

Reply 50 of 60, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It works perfectly fine for me. I even made an ISO compressed file.

This is what I did:

mount c <some folder> -freesize 1000
mount d <cd-rom letter or image name if using imgmount> -t cdrom -label Daggerfall

D:\>intall (huge install)
I set up sound -> SB16 for digital -> Midi for music
I then copied the patch to c:\dagger and ran it.

C:\Dagger\>dagger.exe

That's all.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 51 of 60, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same here, works perfectly well. I took the "mounted cd/minimal install" route, too. At "cycles = max", i wasn't able to swing my weapon with mouse button 2. At "cycles = 30000", everything went smoothly.

Reply 52 of 60, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed the same when swinging my weapon. At first, I thought it was a game's bug.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 53 of 60, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It *is* a game bug. Daggerfall starts having control issues on fast computers (or high cycle counts). Fixed cycles=30000 seems to be a good spot when using core=dynamic.

Reply 54 of 60, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

It *is* a game bug. Daggerfall starts having control issues on fast computers (or high cycle counts). Fixed cycles=30000 seems to be a good spot when using core=dynamic.

Yep, I always play Daggerfall with "cycles=auto limit 30000".

Reply 55 of 60, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I play Daggrfall on max, using DDRAW and SB16 sound. I use the Fall.exe Z.cfg to start the game, so it uses the viewplyr.dat forWASD and mouse look. I tweaked the shaders to give less pixellation (easy to muck around with options when you use a GUI front end!) and all works fine!

The game though, once started is another matter! For example, the first time I played, the game put two rogues right bang in front of the exit! One with a bow! And me a still poor little level 2 guy! This game can be cruel!

Love the NPC interaction though, like the Innkeeper who wouldn't offer me a quest saying: 'You are just like my ex, no disrespect, but I would rather use someone else!'! I think he was talking about race! Gotta love game before Political Correctness came along! 😀

Reply 56 of 60, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have to say I turned back to 0.72 for Daggerfall.. In 0.73, when I use mouselook and I save, after I come back to the game there's a blue arrow and mouselook doesn't work anymore. I have to press enter to have it working again. It seems to crash also a lot more often. Am I the only one?

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 58 of 60, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe it's my problem then. Anyway with 0.72 I have very few crashes, if any at all, many with 0.73.

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 59 of 60, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, just for you, code120, I tried the game with 0.72 (easy with a GUI front end!) and couldn't get the mouse to connect with the game, still had the windows cursor and the game cursor on screen. so horses for courses, 0.72 better for you, 0.73 better for me.