Type e: and hit enter
Type cd dagger and hit enter
Type dagger and hit enter

Reply 21 of 60, by mrfrodo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, thanks for your help.

I used dosbox to install daggerfall in the directory c:\dagger. had to use the freesize command to free up some rume for the huge install.
I used dosbox to execute the 2.13 patch.
I downloaded the extra quests and placed them in the arena 2 folder.

then

i changed z.cfg path and pathcd to c:\dagger\arena2\

that was saved

then

i opened dosbox-0.73-conf and saved asdaggerfall.conf with the following changes: memsize=40, frameskip=1, cycles 20000

at the bottomof the file I placed these commands:
mount c c:\dagger
c:
fall.exe z.cfg

this file was saved as daggerfall.conf

i made the shortcut using the appropriate target: "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.65\DOSBox.exe" -conf daggerfall.conf -noconsole

for the icon change:C:\DAGGER\DAGGER.ICO
this was saved

the only oddity is that i am using 64 bit vista. i am also using ubuntu, but i am not as far along in figuring out how to do it there.

what do you think i have done wrong?

Thanks again for your help.

frodo

Reply 22 of 60, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You change z.cfg to c:\dagger\arena2\ but since you mounted the virtual "C" as "C:\dagger" then ere is no "C:\dagger\arena2" there is only \arena2.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 60, by mrfrodo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosFreak, that totally fixed the issue. daggerfall works. that is great.

the only last issue is to get the daggerfall.conf to work with the short cut.

I am going to look through ans see if i can find any errors and then I will get back to you.

It is nice learning about dos

frodo

Reply 25 of 60, by mrfrodo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this is my shortcut path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe" -conf daggerfall.conf -noconsole

these are the changes to dosbox.conf that is now daggerfall.conf. this file is located in the location previously mentioned.

memsize=40
frameskip=1
cycles=20000

and at the very bottom

mount c c:\dagger
c:\
fall.exe z.cfg

my understanding is that these commands tell dos to create a virtual c drive that is the dagger folder. then it changes directory from z to this virtual drive, then execute these two commands.

that seems like it should do the trick. what do you think?

Reply 26 of 60, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

mrfrodo - how many folders do you have on your PC?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 27 of 60, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Any theories as to why Daggerfall will not detect the MPU-401 as its MIDI-device?

Reply 29 of 60, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:

Any theories as to why Daggerfall will not detect the MPU-401 as its MIDI-device?

radiation from an exploding star?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 30 of 60, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Not only a theory, but a proof: When MIDI-volume on your Windows PC is turned all the way down, nothing is heard! 😒 😊

Reply 31 of 60, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

So... I have been playing around a bit with new free release, and this is the dosbox.conf file I ended up with.

My setup differs a bit from the official installation guide.

I don't recommend doing the "Huge" install. It might have made sense back in the day when the non-installed parts of the game would have to be pulled of the slow CD. But with the emulated CD-ROM in DOSBox, I don't believe there will be any speed difference, so I suggest you do a "Minimum" install instead.

The official guide also says to use an Sound Blaster 16 for the MIDI device. I like the MPU-401 device better (using port 330), so that is what I chose.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    4.53 KiB
    Downloads
    266 downloads
    File comment
    DOSBox 0.73 configuration for TES II: Daggerfall by MiniMax
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 32 of 60, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still have my original CD, but I downloaded the free release just for the heck of it.

I highly recommend not playing at cycles=max because once you reach a certain processing speed the game will start to act flaky. It will become very hard to climb walls, move any direction other than forwards, or to jump (most of these symptoms are more noticeable in large cities). I used to experience this behavior on my 450MHz Pentium II (I even contacted Bethesda and they didn't believe me) and I reproduced it a couple hours ago in DOSBox.

Running with fixed cycles at 30000 or more seems to work well.

Also, MPU-401 definitely works in DOSBox. I've used it with my SC-88 before, and I just used it with Win7's built-in software synth.

As for installation size, it's probably actually best to install huge and use the hack to make it run without mounting the CD, but hey disk space is cheap these days so I followed Bethesda's instructions out of laziness 😀

Reply 33 of 60, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Running with fixed cycles at 30000 or more seems to work well.

Thanks. Noted.

HunterZ wrote:

As for installation size, it's probably actually best to install huge and use the hack to make it run without mounting the CD, but hey disk space is cheap these days so I followed Bethesda's instructions out of laziness 😀

Huh? So instead of mounting TWO folders in a standard way, you prefer to hack an internal configuration file and manually copy files?

Reply 34 of 60, by mrfrodo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Minimax,

You want to know how many folders are on my computer? I am not sure I could count them all in my life time. How can this be related to why the daggerfall shortcut and daggerfall.conf are not making the appropriate changes to dosbox when they are executed? If you can give me more information about it I might be able to answer you.

thanks a lot for your time.

Reply 35 of 60, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:

Huh? So instead of mounting TWO folders in a standard way, you prefer to hack an internal configuration file and manually copy files?

Yeah, because it feels better that the game is self-contained in one directory and not needing any special configuration (e.g. mountings).

The main point thought was that I'm not too worried about wasting 0.5% of my hard drive capacity if I choose to be lazy :p

Reply 36 of 60, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I highly recommend not playing at cycles=max because once you reach a certain processing speed the game will start to act flaky. It will become very hard to climb walls, move any direction other than forwards, or to jump (most of these symptoms are more noticeable in large cities). I used to experience this behavior on my 450MHz Pentium II (I even contacted Bethesda and they didn't believe me) and I reproduced it a couple hours ago in DOSBox.

You can use
cycles=max limit 30000
instead of fixed 30000. This way sound won't stutter if the emulation can't keep up with 30000 cycles.

Daggerfall and Arena came on CDs. Did they have redbook audio tracks?

Reply 37 of 60, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think not because Bethesda recently released Daggerfall as freeware and it comes inside a ZIP file.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 38 of 60, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
mrfrodo wrote:

Minimax,

You want to know how many folders are on my computer? I am not sure I could count them all in my life time. How can this be related to why the daggerfall shortcut and daggerfall.conf are not making the appropriate changes to dosbox when they are executed? If you can give me more information about it I might be able to answer you.

thanks a lot for your time.

It is related in this way:

mrfrodo wrote:

this is my shortcut path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe" -conf daggerfall.conf -noconsole

If you have so many folders that you can't count them in a life-time, how do you suppose your computer would know which of all those folders that contains your daggerfall.conf file? Maybe help it a bit by telling it the exact path.

Reply 39 of 60, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripa wrote:
You can use cycles=max limit 30000 instead of fixed 30000. This way sound won't stutter if the emulation can't keep up with 3000 […]
Show full quote

You can use
cycles=max limit 30000
instead of fixed 30000. This way sound won't stutter if the emulation can't keep up with 30000 cycles.

Hmm thanks I'll play with that.

Daggerfall and Arena came on CDs. Did they have redbook audio tracks?

Nope. Battlespire does but Arena and Daggerfall both use MIDI music.