VOGONS

Knight Force (Disk x Not Active?)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attempting to run Knight Force under DOSBox 0.65 results in the following error:

INVALID DISK !  #err#1-FF01

I thought I'd use the debug version to see what might be going on; the only lines are

1334930: EXEC:Parsing command line: c:
1359066: EXEC:Parsing command line: knight
1359069: EXEC:Execute knight.EXE 0
1359069: FILES:file open command 0 file knight.EXE
1359804: BIOS:Disk 0 not active
1360037: BIOS:Disk 0 not active
1360286: BIOS:Disk 0 not active
1360515: BIOS:Disk 1 not active
1360734: BIOS:Disk 1 not active

The game's manual also has a few unusual lines on the subject:

For IBM PC/XT/AT/F’S, turn on your monitor, followed by the computer
and insert the MS/DOS disk into the first internal disk drive.
Your computer will read the system on the disk and will display on the
screen prompt A>.
Remove the MS/DOS disk from the disk drive and insert the KNIGHT
FORCE program disk into the same drive. Then enter the command
KNIGHT.

Any suggestiosn on what might be going on here? What does "Disk x not active" mean, and can I get around it somehow?

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

they might be reading/accessing the "harddrive" with interrupt 13 which doesn't do much on regular mounted drives. The games might work if they are placed on an image drive.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried copying the files to a real floppy and then mounting the floppy in DOSBox (with -t floppy), but that didn't make any difference.

Anyway, I just tried mounting an image of that floppy (made with Rawrite) using imgmount. This is what I get in the debug window:

1992876: FILES:file open command 0 file knight.EXE
Seek to 0 with type 0 (absolute value 0)
Seek to 4096 with type 0 (absolute value 4096)
Seek to 34 with type 0 (absolute value 34)
1997301: BIOS:Disk 1 not active
1997397: BIOS:Disk 1 not active
1997520: BIOS:Disk 1 not active
1997616: BIOS:Disk 1 not active

And the error message turns into

INVALID DISK! err#3-0001

which is at least more than I've gotten with any other method.

The game's files take up 615 KB; maybe it has to be a 720K floppy. Would Disk 1 here be Drive Z?

Reply 4 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At the Windows 2000 command prompt, running Knight.exe from my hard drive causes it to access the floppy drive. After a few moments the command prompt just comes up again, though, without any "Invalid Disk" message. Same thing happens when I run knight.exe from the floppy.

In DOSBox, if I mount the floppy image and mount the hard drive directory where I have the game and then try to run it from the hard drive, I get

989044: FILES:file open command 0 file knight.EXE
993458: BIOS:Disk 1 not active
993554: BIOS:Disk 1 not active
993677: BIOS:Disk 1 not active
993773: BIOS:Disk 1 not active

What else could Disk 1 be?

Reply 6 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess I forgot to mention that mounting an image as B in DOSBox doesn't change anything.

If I try to run the game under Windows 98 (from the hard drive, with floppy in drive A, from MS-DOS Prompt or in MS-DOS mode), I can get err#2-0200. If I try that with a Zip disk inserted (my Zip drive is drive B in Windows 98), this changes to err#4-0200, and I do see the light flicker on the Zip drive for a moment.

Maybe this game can only function properly on computers with a single floppy drive. Is there some way I can make DOSBox report Drive 1 as being completely nonexistent?

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...Then again, maybe not. I just tried mucking about with some single-floppy configurations in Bochs and didn't get anywhere either.

I guess this probably is some sort of copy protection scheme, and the Windows 2000 command prompt just doesn't support whatever method it's trying to use to read the floppy. Oh well.

Reply 8 of 8, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Copy protection. I fixed this for my personal collection some years ago (thanks to Peterferrie). You definitely need a cracked exe...

In all these years I only found two websites providing a working pc version, happy hunt and google is your friend 😉

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"