VOGONS

First post, by Ezra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hate having to come in and bug you guys about this matter, but all other threads relevant to my problem seem to have dead-ended long ago usually with the user not replying as to whether or not your solutions helped them. I've been at this for most of the day now, trying my hardest to make this work on my own before asking for help.. but I've failed it seems.

I'm using DosBox 0.65 for Windows, with a P4 2.4 GHz (unless my memory's slipping) 512 RAM, Nvidia GeForce FX5200 and all in all more than enough system resources to run this game, which isn't the problem..

My problem, as seems to be an issue with this game, is that I'm trying to play an old favorite: Fragile Allegiance and while it now opens and runs just fine (thank you DosBox for that, and to all that worked on this glorious emulator) when I wish to start a game or most anything it looks for the CD and tells me it can't find it.

I have the CD in my F drive and tried mounting it many a time with different syntaxes, such as

mount d F:\ -tcdrom
mount d F:\ -tcdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl
mount d F:\ -tcdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl -label FA (which I had high hopes for as it seemed to cover all my bases.. but that failed too)

I know there's a few other ways I tried that, but you get the idea there.. The game looks just dandy but every single time replies that it can't find the CD. Even though when I mount my F drive I can hear it whirring about in there and thus one would think it knows it's there.

Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong here? Any possible solutions? I absolutely adore this game and was really hoping to play it.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to this: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:EGpoOg_S … us&ct=clnk&cd=3

it should work fine. All he used was "mount d D:\ -t cdrom".

He was probably using DosBox 0.63 since the post wast posted back in 2005. (Most people don't bother to use the CVS).

Have you tried using DosBox 0.63 just to see if it works?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by Ezra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, but I had actually already seen that post. In fact, that user's comment is what lead me to try DOSBox in the first place. 😀

I downloaded version 0.63 and tried it, with no luck there either, but I just now figured out how to get it to all work.. I had to reinstall the game through DOSBox. After playing around, mounting the necessary drives and doing a bit of trial and error I can now proudly say it seems to want to function for me.. none of that "Insert CD!" crap now. Though the sound is choppy, but I know how that should be handled and will fix that.

Thank you very much, and doubly so for your incredibly speedy reply. I assumed I'd have to wait days to get one. 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

he didnt put a space between the mount d F:\ -t cdrom (he has it as mount d F:\ -tcdrom)

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 4 of 4, by ryousuke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there's nothing wrong with the way u mount ur cdrom
problem with the elusive drive is in fragile allegiance itself

go to ur fragile allegiance folder and look for a file config.ini

in this file is written where the game takes its source from.. there's the cd rom drive u are looking for.. either u mount the cdrom drive to match this source, or u change the source to match where u wld like to mount the cdrom

eg: if source is E: then mount e d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

hope it helps..

but i cant play it..
the game crashes when i pick a building.. error encountered was wrong video format.. anyone knows how to counter this?