VOGONS

First post, by Septivli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, hopefully a quick question with a simple answer for those who are familiar. Installled dosbox no problem, set the mount up according to the basic faq and the only thing im stuck on is finding the dos prompt for running heroes of might and magic II price of loyalty expansion. This is from the original game disk that supports both dos and windows. Anyone have an idea what the dos command might be? currently in the heroes folder is no .exe for the game just a cd rom link for running it in win 95. Is it possible i have to install the game in dos? I hope not.

I could have ideally run this game in my win xp as everything works perfectly fine EXCEPT for the fact that the screen is super dark and no amount of monitor/desktop gamma tweaking can fix it. Thus dosbox. Oh and also I did run it under compatability for win 95 and it made no difference to the dark screen.

Any ideas on a solution for either of my little problems? Preferably a solution for the dark screen issue on xp as thats the easiest possibly to fix. Thanks kindly in advance!

Reply 1 of 1, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The version I have (Heroes of Might and Magic Compendium) has the HEROES2.EXE in the heroes2 directory on the CD. And for my version running the heroes2.exe is
good for both the game plus the expansion. It will run off the CD but without sound. (And presumably unable to save on the CD)

Is it possible you are using a copy of an installed version for Windows instead
of the actual CD? Or a version that is only for Windows?

Unless you plan to run the game without sound and being able to make saves, it would be best to install the game. No idea if a Windows install would bother to include the dos executable. (for reference the dos install does not copy over the windows executable)