VOGONS

Runtime error 002 at 0004:2C46.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I found the problem: I have a KELLOGG.ini files but there is nothing in it. When I open it with notepad there is no text and it has a size of 0 bytes. I'm gonna redownload it and see if everything is there then.

EDIT: I redownloaded the game... nothing there...

Reply 22 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Just tried it - runs perfectly (as far as I can see) with DOSBox 0.65.

Do this:

1. Create a directory for the game and the DOSBox configuration file.
    I created C:\Documents and Settings\MiniMax\Documents\OldGames\Tony.
  2. Create a directory to hold the downloaded and unzipped version of Tony & Friends.
    I created .......\OldGames\Tony\Unzipped and it contained these 4 files:
    19-10-2000  18:04             3.343 READ.ME
    19-10-2000 18:04 55 KELLOGG.INI
    19-10-2000 18:04 668.656 PCKELL.SET
    19-10-2000 18:04 46.960 SETUP.EXE
  3. Inside the Tony directory, create 2 files with Notepad: Run.cmd and dosbox.conf.

Run.cmd should look like this:
    @       echo off

if not exist C-drive mkdir C-drive
    if not exist capture mkdir capture

start "DOSBox" "%ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.65\dosbox.exe" %*
    dosbox.conf should look like this:
    # DOSBox 0.65 configuration for "Tony & Friends in Kellogs's Land".
    #
    # By MiniMax

[cpu]
    core=normal
    cycles=10000
    cycleup=1000
    cycledown=1000

[render]
    frameskip=1

[autoexec]
    @ echo off

mount C "C-drive"
    mount D "Unzipped" -t cdrom

D:

if exist C:\Kellogg\Start.Exe C:
    if exist C:\Kellogg\Start.Exe cd \Kellogg

echo on
  4. Start a Windows Command Prompt (Start => Run... => cmd.exe).
  5. Change the working directory to your "Tony" directory:
    C:\> chdir /d C:\Documents and Settings\MiniMax\Documents\OldGames\Tony
  6. Start DOSBox using the Run.cmd file you just created:
    C:\> run
    Run.cmd will automatically create a directory (C-drive) inside Tony that will emulate a C-drive in DOSBox. It will also create a capture directory where DOSBox will save any screen-dumps and sound recordings you make.
  7. Since you have Tony as your working directory, DOSBox will use the dosbox.conf you just created when it starts.

If you look closer at the autoexec section dosbox.conf you can see how C-drive is being mounted as drive C.

You can also see how the downloaded files in Unzipped gets mounted as drive D with the type set to CD-ROM.

After that, DOSBox initially switches to the (pseudo) CD-ROM on drive D:.

Next, it checks to see if the game has already been installed by looking for a file called C:\Kellogg\Start.Exe. If Start.Exe exists, DOSBox quickly switches to drive C:, and then changes directory to the real game directory - \Kellogg.
  8. But - since you have not installed the game yet, DOSBox leaves you in the D: drive, ready to run the setup program:
    D:\>dir
    Directory of D:\.
    . <DIR>
    .. <DIR>
    KELLOGG INI 55 19-10-2000 18:04
    PCKELL SET 668,656 19-10-2000 18:04
    READ ME 3,343 19-10-2000 18:04
    SETUP EXE 46,960 19-10-2000 18:04
    4 File(s) 719,014 Bytes
    2 Dir(S) 0 Bytes free.

D:\>setup
  9. From the setup menu, select Speil installieren and press ENTER, accept the default installation directory C:\KELLOGG, and wait for the game to unpack itself.
  10. Press the SPACEBAR on your keyboard to get back to the setup menu, and press DOWN-ARROW to select Soundkarte wählen + ENTER.

DOWN-ARROW again and select SoundBlaster + ENTER.
    Accept the defaults of IRQ 7, 220h, and DMA 1.
  11. Finally select Setup beenden and your DOSBox prompt should be:
    C:\KELLOGG>
    Check that SETUP has created a KELLOGG.INI files that looks like this:
    C:\KELLOGG>type KELLOGG.INI

[SB]
    Adr=544
    DMA=1
    IRQ=7

[SOUND]
    DRIVER=SB
    If you do a little conversion of 554 into hexadecimal you will get the 220 you selected in the SoundBlaster setup.
  12. Now start the game using START
    C:\KELLOGG>start
    Next time the autoexec section in dosbox.conf will see that START.EXE is already installed and put in directly into the KELLOGG directory instead of starting you in D:.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 23 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, great... I think I should understand this 😜 But I have three "kelloggs" directories now... the original one, the "unzipped" one and the one in "c-drive". Can I delete any of the files?
And: There are problems installing the game. The last thing working is "kopiere kellogg.ini... fertig!" after this there is only "kopiere..." and nothing behind.

Reply 25 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nothing happens after pressing a key. If I just cancel (after nearly 20 minutes) there appears some message like "critical error...." and so on. I'm still in drive "d" after doing this and the sound settings...

EDIT: Why do I have to install the files over "setup"? The files installing are exactly the same ones I have after unzipping the downloaded game, aren't they?

Reply 26 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Gwenhwyfar wrote:

Oh, great... I think I should understand this 😜 But I have three "kelloggs" directories now... the original one, the "unzipped" one and the one in "c-drive". Can I delete any of the files?

Delete all but the Unzipped files, Run.cmd and dosbox.conf.

Gwenhwyfar wrote:

And: There are problems installing the game. The last thing working is "kopiere kellogg.ini... fertig!" after this there is only "kopiere..." and nothing behind.

Please list the contents - with file sizes - of the Unzipped files. Perhaps your download is bad?

Reply 27 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

-I deleted all the files but run.cmd, dosbox.conf and the ones in my unzipped folder.
-Which unzipped files do you mean? The one sin my "unzipped" folder or the ones in kelloggs.zip?
Here are the ones from the folder:
KELLOGG.INI - 0KB - configuration settings
PCKELL.SET - 653KB - SET File
SETUP.EXE - 46KB - application

I have no readme file, but this doesn't matter, I hope. It was not in my download.

And here are all the files from kelloggs.zip after I downloaded it:
DPMI16BI.OVL - 28KB in the .zip-file, 64KB unzipped, OVL-file
PCKELL.DAT - 758KB zipped, 2634KB unzipped - DAT-file
RTM.EXE - 32KB zipped, 107KB unzipped - application
START.EXE - 63Kb zipped, 145Kb unzipped - application

I'm confused now cause I have deleted and restored the kelloggs.zip item some thousand times. I had another kellogs.zip which contained all the files I get after installing, just not the "kellogg.ini" file... I think i wrote them down somewhere on the first page...
I think this is getting too complicated for me... I'll better start it all over... and redownload AGAIN, almost everything is missing now...

EDIT: Sorry, forgot them... edited now

Last edited by Gwenhwyfar on 2006-06-08, 13:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 28 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Gwenhwyfar wrote:
-I deleted all the files but run.cmd, dosbox.conf and the ones in my unzipped folder. -Which unzipped files do you mean? The on […]
Show full quote

-I deleted all the files but run.cmd, dosbox.conf and the ones in my unzipped folder.
-Which unzipped files do you mean? The one sin my "unzipped" folder or the ones in kelloggs.zip?
Here are the ones from the folder:
KELLOGG.INI
PCKELL.SET
SETUP.EXE

File sizes (and dates) please!

Reply 30 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Gwenhwyfar wrote:

I edited them...

And you still managed to get it wrong 😀

Please do this from within DOSBox, and write the result down just as I did:

D:\>dir
. <DIR>
.. <DIR>
KELLOGG INI 55 19-10-2000 18:04
PCKELL SET 668,656 19-10-2000 18:04
READ ME 3,343 19-10-2000 18:04
SETUP EXE 46,960 19-10-2000 18:04
4 File(s) 719,014 Bytes
2 Dir(S) 0 Bytes free.

Reply 31 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cannot mark anything in dosbox. I hope it will work like this:

[code]D:\>dir
. <DIR> 08-06-2006 16:15
.. <DIR> 08-06-2006 16.10
KELLOGG INI 0 14-11-2001 11.50
PCKELL SET 668,643 14-11-2001 11:44
SETUP EXE 46,960 14-11-2001 11:44
3 Files(s) 715,603 Bytes.
2 Dir(s) 0 Bytes free.[/code]

Reply 32 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Thanks Gwenhwyfar - that is what I was looking for.

Comparing the dates and sizes, I guess it is fair to say that the SETUP.EXE program is identical in your download and mine, but KELLOGG.INI and PCKELL.SET has different sizes.

It might mean nothing, but it could also mean problems. Try this link for a download:

http://www.2cool4me.de/download-freegame.php?id=53

That is the version that worked for me.

EDIT: Look like you have the version from Underdogs. I will try that version later today.

Reply 33 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much! Everything was just because of that stupid download i had, now it works perfectly! I didn't do all of the steps you told me, I just started the game the "normal way" but still I thank you for helping me and for to have so much work with this.
The only thing I have to wait for now vasyl to help me with that water-problem. I wouldn't ever have thought that I could run this game... I'm so happy! 😀

Reply 34 of 43, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The promised custom executable. Had to modify my solution to work with new scalers, was not too bad. This is based of current CVS with the following changes:
VGA_PARTS patch applied (same as on SF) -- most likely, not really necessary.
In vga_draw.cpp

<  #define VGA_PARTS 1
-> #define VGA_PARTS 200

< vga.draw.delay.parts=(linetime*vdispend)/vga.draw.parts_total;
-> vga.draw.delay.parts=(linetime*vdispend)/vga.draw.parts_total/2;

PEL mask patch (this one is mentioned in forums).
In render_scalers.cpp, add:

#include "vga.h"

and in render_templates.h:

#if DBPP == 8
< #define PMAKE(_VAL) (_VAL)
-> #define PMAKE(_VAL) (_VAL & vga.dac.pel_mask)
#elif DBPP == 15
< #define PMAKE(_VAL) render.pal.lut.b16[_VAL]
-> #define PMAKE(_VAL) render.pal.lut.b16[_VAL & vga.dac.pel_mask]
#elif DBPP == 16
< #define PMAKE(_VAL) render.pal.lut.b16[_VAL]
-> #define PMAKE(_VAL) render.pal.lut.b16[_VAL & vga.dac.pel_mask]
#elif DBPP == 32
< #define PMAKE(_VAL) render.pal.lut.b32[_VAL]
-> #define PMAKE(_VAL) render.pal.lut.b32[_VAL & vga.dac.pel_mask]
#endif

Finally, in vga_dac.cpp, this one line change:

static void write_p3c6(Bitu port,Bitu val,Bitu iolen) {
if (val!=0xff) LOG(LOG_VGAGFX,LOG_NORMAL)("VGA:Pel Mask not 0xff");
vga.dac.pel_mask=val;
-> render.scale.clearCache = true;
}

I am not sure if this last change is a right thing to do but it seems to work fine. Compiled with Visual Studio .NET 2003 using project file in CVS (some magic with include paths required).
A few caveats. This is not particularly featured build. Compared to popular builds it misses a lot. It does not have any popular patches, it is also missing network support and screenshot ability. It is also fair bit slower than any regular build (courtesy of VGA_PARTS set to 200). Consider it just a hack to play this particular game, nothing else. Water appears approximately where it should, maybe just a bit high but looks ok.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-custom.zip
    File size
    455.13 KiB
    Downloads
    470 downloads
    File comment
    Special DOSBox build for Kellog's game
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 35 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for this. But there's a little Problem: I don't really understand anything. 🙁 I cannot even find that vga_draw.ccp or the other files you are talking about.

Reply 37 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, I really hadn't seen it! Thank you so much. I'll just try if it works.

EDIT: I replaced the old dosbox.exe by the new one. But when I try to start the application, the following error message appears: "This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Reply 38 of 43, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, did not notice, the project on SF uses dynamic runtime. The file is freely distributable. To decrease load on our forum server I will just give you a link to another site with download: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcp71

EDIT: The executable may require some other DLLs, I don't have time to check that right now (would have to try it in "clean" virtual machine). If it continues to complain -- that site should have everything. You can search it or just edit the URL.

Reply 39 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No problem with missing DLL's on my PC. But Tony needs a life-vest or some swimming lessons:

hightide9pr.th.png
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting