VOGONS

First post, by JayDP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi;

I am very new to the use of Emulators.
Somehow I got directed to DOSBOX v 0.65.
I have printed and read the README.
I have Windows XP Pro on a PC as follows:

1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64, 64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MSI MS-7191 1.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080012 10/14/2005
1984 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB (serial number SerNum0)
Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 512 MB

I tried to use XP's Compatability mode to run the SETUP.EXE off of the CD.
It wouldn't run/install. I tried to copy all of the files off of the CD to a directory, it wouldn't allow copy. I tried to use DOSBOX, mounted the CDRom drive, tried to run the setup.exe and apparently I need Windows to install this game.
Help?

UPDATE/Follow-Up: I found out that there is a DOS version (BAT file) to install & run KQVII - as well as a Windows version on the CD. I installed the DOS version using DOSBOX on my XP Pro to get it working, I did. Then I installed all on the XP Home PC for my daughter, for whom the game was actually for to begin with.

I am not sure if I can use the DOSShell front end to run a DOS game. I do not want my daughter to have to type in "cd Sierra" & "KQ7DOS" each and every time. So for now I have put those two commands in the DOSBox Config file. Not proper or eloquent, and this will NOT do should I load any more of our older games that she likes and useful for the long summer ahead home and off school, but it's a start.

The DOSShell front end did not have much documentation, so I need help, either: Configuring a BATch file so my daughter can just type one command to run the game and it will exit DOSBOX when finished
OR Help with somehow using the DOSSHELL front end to accomplish the same thing. Thanks!

Last edited by JayDP on 2006-06-07, 10:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use Notepad to create a text file, but save it with the ".bat" extension. In your case, it would be KQ7.BAT and simply contain "CD SIERRA" and "KQ7DOS" (If you want to make it a little neater, add the line "@ECHO OFF" to the very start of the file so it won't display the other commands). Just place it in the directory you have mounted as C in DOSBox.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 5, by JayDP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks.
That is a little simpler than what I tried last night.
I created a BATch file in the c:\OldGames directory, placed a shortcut to it in the Games folder on my daughter's Win XP Home desktop, then attached the King's Quest icon to the BATch file's shortcut - so she could have that instead of a system icon displaying. Here's the BATch file I created:

Line 1) cd c:\
Line 2) cd "c:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.65"
Line 3) dosbox -c "mount c c:\OldGames" -c "MOUNT d d:\ -t cdrom" -fullscreen
-conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.65\dosbox.conf" -noconsole -c c:
-c "cd SIERRA" -c KQ7DOS.bat -exit

~ JayDP

I will take a little closer look at your solution. However, I am not sure how I can use your solution to make it simpler by putting one icon on my daughter's desktop that she can just run. I want to experiment with the DOSSHELL frontend, as well. Probably tomorrow night, if I have time.

All-in-all, I'd say not bad for someone who just ran across the concept of DOS Emulators for older games just yesterday afternoon - and thanks for your idea - it gives me something else to think about.

Reply 4 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just use Windows shortcuts to start my games. The shortcut I have for KQ7 (modify for your paths) is:

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.65\DOSBox.exe" "C:\Sierra\KQ7DOS\KQ7DOS.BAT" -conf "C:\Sierra\KQ7DOS\dosbox.conf" -noconsole -exit

I have a unique dosbox.conf file for each game in that game's directory tweaked for that game, such as any entries in the autoexec section for additional mountings, like CD-ROMs.

I have all of the game files on the hard drive and have modified the game's RESOURCE.CFG file to have it look in the game's installed directory for all of its resources.

To play the game, all I have to do is double click the Windows shortcuts. Most of the Sierra games came with a game icon that can be used for these shortcuts.