Topic actions

First post, by Matafin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have little problem!
I have copied all the win 3.11 files in to the folder "c:/win"
Then i have mounted the path "Mount c c:/win"
Then i go to the "c:/win" and try to "setup.exe", but nothing happens!
That file start nice from the xp, but not from the dosbox!
Any ideas? 😕

Reply 1 of 25, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm
mount c c:/win
c:
setup
although it won't really install that way I think.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Best follow the instructions given at Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide
The way you are doing it the setup files are in the root directory of your mount.
Best make a dir c:\doswin and then copy that folder c:\win into that and then start Dosbox and type that:
mount c C:\doswin
c:
cd c:\win
setup

But it is sure possible to get 3.11 work under xp?

Under DosBox it is possible to run Windows 3.11.

Reply 5 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Matafin wrote:

But little question still!
"- Don't run in dynamic core "
- What that means?

It is one of the cores used for the processor emulation...See DOSBOX.CONF.... The dynamic core is the quickest one....
Actually the unusability of the dynamic core with the Windows enhanced mode is an old information valid only for 0.65 (you will find out that mouse will not work in W3.11 with the dynamic core).
If you use a newer CVS build (there are several available, search the forum), then "dynamic" core works ok and it is the best choice.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

right, I should overwork this guide now, it seems 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 25, by Matafin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah.. The mouse did not work until i restarted whole dosbox, but then it worked out!
And in that topic (Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide ) there is dead links.. all the graphic ones! have to use vga now 😁

Reply 8 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yeah, the hosting of the drivers is a problem no one seems to want to solve. I contacted Snover some time ago, whether it is ok to attach them to the topic, but he never replied.
A permanent solution like Sourceforge would be best.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Matafin, I don't know what you are talking about, all those links work!
😀
seriously, I uploaded the drivers to badongo.com as a quickfix. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that some links don't work.

Reply 11 of 25, by Matafin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright.. new question 😁

"- Builds with Vasyl's SVGA patch can run Windows 3.1x at 1024x768 at 256 colours. You have to select the Tseng graphics card in Dosbox **(see the example dosbox.conf that should come with the build or you can generate it yourself)"**

-what i have to change in dosbox.conf ? Or where i can find already made conf?

Reply 12 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

check out does they give anything out from my geforce!

huh?
the bigest you can go with these drivers is 1024x768 at 256 colors, that's not much and every card that is at least 12 years old can do that 😀
So the chip of your actual graphics card is as important as your actual soundcard - the emulation doesn't care 😀

Reply 13 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you have to get a special build for that, check the link with the snapshot binaries and there get one that has the SVGA patch in. AFAIR all these come with a dosbox.conf. When you open that with notepad you will see where to change this.

Reply 14 of 25, by Matafin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm.. i have now tried many many other ways to get bigger resolution but i dont get it how to..
Everything else works, and i have learned much of how this dosbox really works..
All the video-drivers gives me something like "incorrect gfx type.."
I dont think it is big thing what i havent get yet!

Reply 16 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

All the video-drivers gives me something like "incorrect gfx type.."

then just use the s3 drivers with the 0.65 release.
For the other drivers you need a binary snapshot of dosbox WITH the SVGA patch AND you need to select a different card in dosbox.conf.

Reply 18 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would kill for a 65000 colour patch 😜 the things I use it for wouldn't be so taxing anyway - but the 256 colours are annoying for Paintbrush for example. You can open 256 colour pics but can only use 16 colours to alter them.