VOGONS

First post, by sid_reynolds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm new to this site, and was recommended here since it may help me.

I teach the card game Bridge, and I've designed a Bridge computer program (using Clipper 5, a brilliant DOS language, under Win-XP Pro). I used a Windows installation program & uploaded to my web-site. My students then ran the install program which creates a folder called c:\Program Files\Flow Chart, and an icon. Everything worked fine on PC's but 2 students have Macs where installation appeared to work OK, but the program wouldn't run.
A friend of a friend said something called DosBox could fix this.

Could anyone explain in simple terms (because I know very little about Macs) how this works eg
-I've heard it emulates a pc of a few years ago (a 486 dx)
-What do I download at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1? Is it Mac OS X (ie users computer) or Windows (my PC)?
-Do I just run the clipper EXE, at Dos Box? Any settings?
-Instead of now useless icon, would I create a DOS batch file to run from this DOSBOX?
-Could I create a Mac Icon? Or is that in the too-hard basket for someone who knows little of Macs?
-How do I run/install DosBox?

Any help much appreciated?
Regards, Sid

Reply 1 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I think it would be easiest you tried this together with the 2 students with the Macs.

Have them download and install DOSBox 0.65, and have them start it up for you. Then you take control of the keyboard/mouse and proceed with the DOS-ness part of the install.

If you have questions then, please come back, look at the guides here, and ask if there are things you don't quite understand.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 8, by sid_reynolds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks.
Are you saying I go to each students house, and download Mac OS X 0.65?
Someone said I should try downloading Windows 0.65 on my own PC, to see if nasty surprises show up, and if none, then downloading Mac OS X 0.65 should be OK.
Any comments?
Regards, Sid

Reply 3 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yes, getting Windows DOSBox 0.65 to work with your Clipper application on your own PC would be an excellent way to root out any nasty surprises.

If you can end up describing how to manually install your application inside DOSBox, then the students should be able to follow the same procedure with small variations to compensate for the difference in directory and file name syntax between Windows and Mac OSX.

Reply 4 of 8, by sid_reynolds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks,
WIndows version installed ok, but when I ran it and typed the required:
mount c "c:\Program Files\Flow Chart"
c:
then ran my EXE, but it hanged... just with standard message
DOS/16m Protected Mode Run-Time Version 6.01
Copyright (C) Tenberry Software Inc
This message normally flashes up briefly before EXE executes, so
isn't a bug message.

I guess this raises 2 questions:
1. How do I stop the lock-up?
2. Even if we get it to work, this several line process will be a bit of bore for the Mac users everytime they want to run the program. I tried to create a 3-line batch file on my hard disk ie
c:
tarban.exe
but when I ran DosBox, did the mount thing, and tried to copy batch file from c: to z:, it came up with an error message:
copy failure : ..
0 files copied.

Any suggestions for both questions?

Regards, Sid

Reply 5 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Sid - since this is now an DOSBox issue, I am moving the discussion into the DOSBox Games/Apps sub-forum.

I wouldn't worry about the installation routines at this time. They can be streamlined once we know what it takes to make your application run.

I have no idea why your application hangs - sorry 🙁

For the automatic mounting, have a look at the autoexec section near the end of your dosbox.conf file. Z: is a fake drive created by DOSBox, and is read-only.

Hopefully someone else will jump in and offer suggestions.

Reply 6 of 8, by sid_reynolds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm new to DosBox, and am trying to get it to run a Clipper program under Dosbox with my WinXP-Pro, which if successful, I'll then run on Macs of 2 friends, and also perhaps another PC with Win98 which I recall is quite unstable with DOS.

However, when I ran DosBox on my WInXP-Pro and typed the required:
c:
then ran my EXE, it just hanged.

I guess this raises 2 questions:
1. How do I stop the hanging?
2. Even if we get it to work, this several line process will be a bit of bore for the Mac users everytime they want to run the program. I tried to create a 3-line batch file on my hard disk ie
c:
tarban.exe
but when I ran DosBox, did the mount thing, and tried to copy batch file from c: to z:, it came up with an error message:
copy failure : .. 0 files copied.

Any suggestions for both questions?

Regards, Sid

Reply 7 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Threads merged.

Sid - please keep your questions to 1 thread only. This was the 3rd identical post you made.