VOGONS

First post, by lfo2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello 😀

i have a nasty problem. i have been playing uw1 and suddently it freezes 🙁
thats not so good. so i dont come anny further now.

i did a upload of the savegame. could someone maybe download it, and have a look, if it freezes also??

with the savegame you are in a chamber, with a person in front of you. if you speak to him, it freezes. if it dont freeze, the guy gives you something.

please help me.

and please excuse my englisch, im german 😉

here is the link: http://muenchen-surf.de/lfo/save0/[/url]

Reply 2 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'll try to confirm later.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 18, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UW automatically deletes the four files when I copy them to SAVE0 folder. They must be corrupted or something. BTW: You should have packed them inside a single compressed file.

EDIT: Found the reason. Stupid browser or stupid windows had put a .TXT extension to DESC file.

BUT the game freezes for me also when talking to the man in the room.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you are not supposed to copy them to the save0 folder, but to save1,2,3 or 4 and then journey onward from that one. This way I was able to load the game and it did indeed freeze on me.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 18, by lfo2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

corruptet.... how could this happen 🙁 my nice lv 12 charakter. *crying* cant play that again from beginning...
spendet countless hours....

yeah, sorry about the none-single-compressed-folder, i have only winrar on the system, and didnt know, if you guys have that.

what should i do know???????????

Reply 8 of 18, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hang on. I am still testing...

I remember to have successfully run UW/UW2 using VDMSound. I think they needed to be patched.

DAMN! It hangs also running it natively using VDMSound. It even hangs when LOOKING at that guy.

BTW : Here is a LINK for downloading the NT compatible patch and several other things.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 11 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you have to save more often and vary betwen the 4 savegame slots.

Reply 14 of 18, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyway, you should keep an eye on your filesystem integrity. Something must be behind the corruption. Are you overclocking or something?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 15 of 18, by lfo2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no, the overclocking times are over 😉 my system runs stable-default-settings. i noticed this freezes often, when trillian (chat-client) did runn in the background. so sometimes when trillian did pop-up a message, dosbox changed from fullscreen to windowed-mode. a time later the freezes began.

i dont know for sure, if this is the fault, but know i play OFFLINE and without something else, running in background.

Reply 16 of 18, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Running applications in the background is commonly a bad idea (unless they are utterly necessary).

You can also check if you have any heat related problems. Are all fans spinning at their proper speed? The one on my northbridge stopped working after 1 year. I cleaned it, lubed it, and it's now working again.

I must stop now. This is going off-topic...

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 17 of 18, by lfo2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there was never a problem, leaving programs in the background running..... until dosbox 😉

my temperatures are all ok. my northbridge does not have a fan (passiv-cooling)

motherboard: 109 fahrenheit, cpu 108 fahrenheit.

im into pc. i would have noticed a problem with my system.

by the way, you have a cool avatar-picutr 😉