VOGONS

First post, by Bumblebee Tuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry for my newbieness, but I have a few questions about some games I'm trying to run on Dosbox.

It seems like WC3, Under a killing moon, and phantasmagoria, can be quite choppy while I'm playing the games. I've been trying to correct this, but I don't seem to have any luck. Can anyone suggest things that I can do to help reduce the choppiness? And if you answer, do it step by step instructions. I'm a meganewbie here., 🤣

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Tell us what you have tried. We hate wasting time suggesting things that people have already tried.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 5, by Bumblebee Tuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems like it has something to do with my CPU. For example, when I installed WC3, it said I had a fair CPU speed. Now I adjusted the cycle to Auto, and it seems to have helped, a lot. I'm not sure what would be a good setting to have it at. If this helps, I have a 1.6 Gz P4 processor. Anyone know what cycle would be good for it?

Reply 5 of 5, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Best setting varies from game to game. Auto is meant to take the guesswork out, but it may not be optimal - I prefer to just set it manually and increase it gradually with Ctrl F12 until the game is as smooth as possible. Setting frameskip to 1 can also be good, especially for 3D games. I think those are all very demanding games though. Dynamic core will almost certainly help.