VOGONS

First post, by Mike02x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please help me with this game! , it know runs but when i try to go to other places/planets it boots me out, the game goes FINE until the Ship Checkup, then it boots me out and shows and Application Error, any ideas?

Please help me!!! I love this game!

Attachments

• Filename
    DxDiag.txt
    File size
    46.5 KiB
    Downloads
    183 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok ive istalled my unpatched german privateer 2 version today through a plain dosbox 0.65.
no problems after setting sound correctly with this nice installer.
game runs good with dynamic core above 50k cycles on my athlon fx-53.
some slowdowns in heavy fights but no chrashes or sound stuttering at all.

ive tryed some different settings with dosbox, but i cant reproduce your error.

you should first download and install dosbox 0.65 and follow the readme instructions on how to mount your drives correctly. (dont know if you done that already). and/or read the 60 seconds guide from minimax.
the game should run good after that.

have you read the other privateer 2 threads already posted on this forum?
report back if you need more help and please be a "little" more specific with your problem next time...

Reply 2 of 7, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might try this very nice unofficial patch, which patches the normal DOS version of Privateer 2 to the Deluxe Windows 95 Version, so you don't have to use DosBox anymore:
http://perli.net/projekte/privateer2win95/

Reply 3 of 7, by Mike02x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ummm... My is an American Privateer 2 DOS.
I wish i could do the Windows Special Edition, but i don't have blank CDs, i only have Blank DVDs.

Btw SysGod, sorry i didn't mention before that i did try lookin for this type of thread regarding this error and couldn't find any related.

i do have the newest DOSBox and the oldest one or .63 i think.

I did follow the readme on how to mount CDRoms and Dirs and stuff...tho.

Reply 4 of 7, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish i could do the Windows Special Edition, but i don't have blank CDs, i only have Blank DVDs.

hmm i think its not a problem if youre using a DVD instead of a CD to burn the files on. it works the same way.

even if you get this game running correctly with dosbox you should come to this point.
so i prefer the windows patch.

Reply 5 of 7, by Mike02x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Soooo what if i just burn all 8 CDs in 1 DVD or 2, as ISOs and use Daemon Tools, which i DO have that.

And Mount em when needed? Would that work? Then?
Is that what your suggesting?

Reply 6 of 7, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think he meant that you just use a blank DVD-R instead of a blank CD-R and burn the first disc like you would normally burn a simple CD.
(You'll be wasting a little bit of disc space, but since blanks are cheap this is not a big issue.)

But just using Isos with Daemon Tools should also work fine.

Reply 7 of 7, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wait, you have 8 CDs of privateer 2 ?! i only have a 3 disk version. what is on the other 5 CDs?

making an iso of the disks and using them with deamon tools should work.
but you would have no luck making one big iso file of all CDs. on each disk is a CD.DAT file with a number. copying all disks into one folder would overwrite this file and the game couldnt recognize its disks correctly.