VOGONS

First post, by dta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been more than a decade since I played UW2 on a 486DX/33 with SBPro2.

I can't recall whether the game includes speech (voices) or not.

However, recently I got DOSBox 0.65 and now re-running UW2 (I only got to start but didn't finish the game before...).

Music works in the game (I believe the installation utility calls this as "synthesized sound").

Sounds ("digitized sounds") also seems to work, but they sound quite soft and barely audible when I choose "Sound Blaster Pro" in the configuration (UINSTALL.EXE or UWSOUND.EXE); choosing "Sound Blaster" seems to make the sound louder. (I think it might be that UW2 can control the volume settings of a real SBPro, however, it might not be able to control the volume settings of an emulated SBPro/SB16 under DOSBox).

Anyway, that's not the main problem. As I mentioned while trying this game under DOSBox, I encounter some areas where I think there might have been voices/speech (eg. the Guardian talking)... however, there's not voices while playing this game under DOSBox.

Is this a "not-yet-implemented" feature of DOSBox with regards to UW2's speech? Or have I just forgotten that UW2 doesn't offer any speech at all?

Reply 1 of 2, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The sound effects are indeed quieter when using the Sound Blaster Pro setting. The game uses the card's mixer capability to change the volume of left vs. right to do a stereo effect, but never seems to max the volume.

Most of the Guardian's lines just don't have speech, only a few do. Check the BSP??.VOC files (WinAmp should be able to play them) in the game's SOUND directory --- if you're encountering a situation where the Guardian says something for which there IS a sound file, then you've got a problem (although that's unlikely, if the digital sound effects work). Otherwise, there is just no speech for that particular scene.

Reply 2 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you can disable the changing of the soundblaster mixer (so always max volume) by specifying it in dosbox.conf (the soundblaster section has a mixer entry)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!