Rank Newbie
Rank

Kasparov's Gambit (Chess Game) CD version
Published by: Electronic Arts
Platform: IBM PC Compatible
Release Date: 1993
Target Platform: 80386 or 80486
Reviewer: Matt Thomas

Game System: Intel P4 2.8 Ghz, 768 MB memory, BFG GeForce 6800 oc, SBLive MP3+ (not using dos emulation/am using a custom gamer soundfont), using DOSBox-0.65 in Windows 98SE.

I started with the default config file, experimented with the speed/sound options and found these worked the best for the dosbox.cfg file:

scaler=none
core=dynamic
# emulate a 50 Mhz CPU
cycles=50000
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=1024
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=5
oplmode=opl3
oplrate=44100
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
[autoexec]
mount C C:\Gambit
C:
Gambit

Notes: I experimented with various speeds and found that increasing the CPU emulated speed (cycles) too much created a slowdown of graphics and stuttering of sound. The settings above reach a balance between gameplay speed, graphics, and sound on my game platform. The game plays up to 7 ply for 5 second moves, which is not bad. I am able to obtain 9 ply on an actual 486DX-66 Mhz, but of course that has no traslation of code. I am very happy to be able to play this game on my strong PC. Very nice emulator program.

-matt

Reply 1 of 2, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good post, Matt. I just wanted you to remember that CPU cycles are hardware dependant, that is, the numeric face value will vary among different hardware configurations.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 2, by Matt Thomas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Good post, Matt. I just wanted you to remember that CPU cycles are hardware dependant, that is, the numeric face value will vary among different hardware configurations.

Thank-you for the kind words.

Re: cycles, I don't have the manual and was going by the default config file notes that describes 1 cycle as 1 instruction per 1/1000 of a second (attempted). So 10^3 + the number you use to give the target Hz/Cycles approximated by DOSBox.

For my own ease of use I like to think of it as the target Mhz + 000 for the setting, ie: 50 Mhz would be 50000 for the cyles setting.

I imagine that the differing branch instruction designs found in various host PC CPU's will affect this setting. I notice that the speed is not exact, because I remember how fast the games use to run on the 386 and 486 machines I used to use. But I figure using the above formula you can get a starting point before tweaking further.

Cheers,

-matt