VOGONS

First post, by false_dmitrii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got around to giving DosBox (0.65) a real tryout. You guys are doing great work. 😀

I tested the freeware releases of Tyrian2000 and Apogee's Stargunner. Much of the time, emulation is great, with smooth operation and no choppy sound. But Tyrian gameplay slows to a crawl in the very first level whenever there are translucent background cloud tiles present. The more cloud, the slower things get. It's not just the translucency, but turning down detail so the clouds go solid does make a difference.

I tried a lot of different settings via Dfend without any luck. Turned off scaling, tried different rendering methods, different CPU modes, different joystick types, the works. Tried shutting down Explorer, but it didn't help. Running DosBox direcly didn't help either. I'm not close to overloading the computer--turning up cycles will steadily boost performance in the slow areas until it's acceptable, but the moment the clouds or other sources of slowdown are offscreen, the game speeds up to unplayability. Dropping frames doesn't fix the underlying problem. Throughout all this, sound never became choppy or excessively slow; given that it looks like a display problem of some sort, I didn't bother testing with sound off.

I saw something similar when I tried Stargunner. Normal performance is smooth and reliable, but when the game tries to put up a Star Wars-style scrolling words introduction, it runs at a snail's pace. So perhaps it's related to how my computer is handling certain types of parallax-scrolling overlays?

Since I'm just starting out with Dosbox, I don't know if I'm using it properly. Many guides are out of date with the 0.65 settings. I used around 5000 cycles, no frame drop, along with Up/Down of both 500/20 and 500/500 (I don't actually know what this last setting is for).

CPU is an Athlon64 3200 on a DFI Lanparty nForce3 board with plenty of RAM. WinXP/SP2. Radeon X800XL AGP, using fairly old drivers (I never switched to the .NET releases). Other posters here have said they have Tyrian running fine on slower systems, so I'm wondering whether it's a machine-specific conflict, a new issue with 0.65, or just bad settings. Any thoughts?

false_dmitrii

Reply 1 of 5, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can probably use a lot more then 5000 cycles on your machine. Also make sure you use dynamic core...you can also try cycles=auto for automatic cycles adjustment.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also check out "cycles=auto" works good for more demanding games.

Also there are no ".NET" catalyst drivers. The control panel replacement does use .NET which do one in their right mind would want for their control panel replacement but you can easily find the latest 6.6 drives with the old control panel. If you don't want to bother looking for them then simply install the latest 6.6 from ATI and do not use the control center, use ATI Tray Tools instead like everyone else. (If ATI was smart they'd use these or something similar).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by false_dmitrii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your answers. Cycles=auto plus dynamic core did the trick. Auto cycles by themselves still had some trouble spots. Where can I find an explanation of the different core settings and how to choose between them?

Is there a way to bias auto cycle performance to be slower or faster across the board? Also, is there any way to toggle auto cycles on and off within DosBox in the manner of CTRL+F11/F12?

Gulikoza, 5000-ish cycles was a good fit for the game's performance in normal circumstances. If I turned them up for the slow spots, the rest of the game became much too fast. I agree that my system should be able to handle more, which is why I'm posting here. 😀

DosFreak, I knew the core drivers aren't .NET but thought the control panel went .NET-only at some point. Is ATI still bundling the old control panel somewhere, or would I need to find a third-party repackaging?

Back on topic, the emulation continues to impress. MOO and MOM running flawlessly in WinXP, forgot how much I missed them. 😀

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=c … t&dwn_cat_id=18

Second one from the top.

😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try also different output= settings...it can also have impact on performance.
Some cvs builds (mine, ykhwongs...) have CTRL-= hotkey to toggle autocycles.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza