VOGONS

First post, by Sanguinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am tring to run The Legend of Kyrandia 2 CD version. I mount a folder containing the CD files as a cdrom drive and another folder as my c: drive. I am installing the files from the 'cdrom' to the c: drive. This is successful. When I try to run the .exe file I get a message that states:

"A CD-ROM device driver is required to run Hand of Fate CD."

Does anyone know a resolution to this? Would be gretly appreciated.

Reply 4 of 9, by Sanguinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, DOSBox 0.65 under Mac OS 10.4.7

The files are from an .iso that I made from the original cd
I copied the files in the .iso to a folder so I did't have to mount it everytime I want to play.

I am installing the game from the files that I got from the .iso to another folder that i am mounting as my c: drive

Reply 5 of 9, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mount the ISO, that'll probably solve the problem (you can mount within DosBox and put it in the autoxec section of dosbox.conf for minimum hassle)

Also, I will check my CD of Kyrandia 2 and report asap 😉

EDIT: Took the HOF CD, made a BIN/CUE, mounted with Daemon, plays great with DosBOX 0.65 (xms, ems, umb = true, core=normal, cycles=auto).

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 6 of 9, by Sanguinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the update and thanks for giving it a try . . . ill have to give your suggestion a shot and try it with the .iso. 😀

I won't be able to test it for a bit as my cd is at my house, which I am not at currently.

Anything else I can try while I don't have the cd with me?

Reply 8 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Please share your solution, Sanguinius.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 9, by Stevecon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it looks like nobody has actually posted a solution to this problem so i will since im feeling charitable:)
its a different issue but its the same fix as kyrandia 1 cd. run with latest version of VDM sound:
(for noobies)
-you can install just in windows if you want, doesnt matter...
-goto the game folder, right click HOFCD.EXE and click run with VDMS
-you will get your error message, and a new VDL shortcut will be created in the same folder
-rightclick the new shortcut and goto properties
-check the box labelled "Enable low-level cd-rom support" and click ok
-Done, run that shortcut to play the game. Sounds/gfx/saving/everything works good, but the game seems to minimize if anything happens in the background (msn window blinks etc) thats not much of a problem, just really annoying.

hope this helps anyone with this problem.