VOGONS

First post, by hmfynn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a legit version of Discworld I (Argentum Collection Cd-Rom) that I can get running with full sound and speech, (in both Dosbox and VDMSound) but the game runs somewhat slowly (though still playable). I can tell it's slower than it should be because the music is much slower than the psx version and the midis heard on websites. Also, usually at the very beginning of a scene, music and walking will move normally, slow down a few seconds later, and remain that way until entering another room.

I'm using Windows XP; I don't think the rest of the specs make a difference because I've tried it on three different XP machines with the same result, but for the sake of argument, this particular system has:
DVD-Rom HL-DT-ST GDR8161B
C: Samsung SV1204H.
Processor: AMD Athlon Xp 2600+.
Graphics card is NVidia GeForce 4MX 440, and sound is Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA Audio Controller.

IDosbox (latest version) and VDMSound (2.0) give the same result.
In Dosbox I've tried lowering and raising the cycles and that didn't work either. I also tried fiddling with turning on/off EMS, XMS, etc. and still nothing. I've also run config.bat and setsound.exe within the emulators as has been suggested before. Oh, and I've tried running VDMsound with both the mscdexnt and the sapucdex drivers and results were still the same.

I thought to try to run the game from the hard drive, but I can't seem to find what the registry key is. Copying the disk contents onto the hard drive made no difference since I couldn't tell the game to read from there.

This isn't really a huge problem, just an annoyance, so even if no one has a defnitive answer, any suggestions of what to tinker with would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you use dynamic core for DOSBox?

*** Moving to DOSBox Games/Apps. because you aren't running the game under real ms-dos and DOSBox is your best bet *** 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 8, by hmfynn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, that one I overlooked. Just tried it, and dynamic core w/ 11500 cycles does seem to speed things up moderately, though not all the way. It's a good start though, and noticeably better than it was before. Any other suggestions?

Reply 3 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think your machine could perform well increasing cycles a bit more. Open Task Manager and keep increasing cycles until CPU usage is about 80-85%.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 8, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wierd. The game is very playable and enjoyable for me with 6000 cycles on the normal core. And your CPU should be able to do that just fine.

But granted, I run from a CD image. I've converted all my DOS CDs into images, as it makes the games run much more smoothly. So try that if you haven't done that already.

Reply 6 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am sure there are some of them that are freeware. Use Google.

PS - CD/DVD recording software can also create images.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 8, by hmfynn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At the risk of sounding stupid and annoying a few people: I really don't know anything about what cd images are or how they work. Can anyone give me a quick run-down? I've gathered from bits and pieces browsing other topics that I need to trick my computer into thinking it's reading from the CD, and that I need a tool like Alcohol 120% to make it and something called Daemon tools to mount it, but as far as the actual process goes, I'm a bit in the dark. I assume all this is legal since I own the original CD and won't be distributing it anywhere. I've tried looking around on google but all the sites seem to be gearing their explanations specifically to abandonware like theunderdogs, whereas I'm working from the actual CD.

Reply 8 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

IsoBuster ( http://www.isobuster.com/ ) have served me well for creating images. The images created by IsoBuster works fine with Daemon Tools, but if you want to the use the images from within DOSBox, then there is no need for DT since DOSBox knows how to handle the ISO images.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions