VOGONS

First post, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

Recently I try to play DoTT. In Windows 98. Ugh! Problems too many to describe. I abandon that idea. Than I use Dosbox 0.65. Yes! All is runnning good, but... where is the sound?! I see only subtitles and midi. %( Than I try to fiddle with DosBox.conf, but only result was - I discover bug with midi emulation. But this is another story. 😀
Finally, I decide to use _old_ version of DosBox. 0.63. (And save conf, just in case, in the another place). Yes! It works!!!
Hmmm. Use old Dosbox only for DoTT? 🙁 I don't want that! So I reinstall 0.65 in the another dir. And, just in case, run DoTT in it. It works too! %)
On that time I understand, that problem in the old conf file. And when I return my _old_ file, sound disappears, indeed.
Than I begin process of comparing "my" and "clear" configs. And so I discover _true_ reason for sound's absent. It was simple, but strange:
There is speed! %)
When Dosbox have any value below 15000 cycles - it's allright. When Dosbox have 20000 cycles (my default) - sound in DoTT not initializes at all. But not midi - midi works good always.

P.S. I am Russian - sorry for bad English
P.P.S. My system - Athlon 2000+ and Win98SE

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alot of old DOS games do not have sound if cycles is set too high. This is why DosBox is set to 3000 cycles by default. Your supposed to try the game with that value and then increase the value until the game runs fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh?! That is DosBox bug then? Because in "native" mode (under real DOS, regardless of CPU) sound is here _always_...

And 90% of games runs fine on 20000 cycles. 😀 I mean, of course, first part of 90th. 😀 I simply didn't know this bug...

Reply 3 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smiling Spectre wrote:

Oh?! That is DosBox bug then? Because in "native" mode (under real DOS, regardless of CPU) sound is here _always_...

That's not true. Some games like Titus the Fox or Prince of Persia will have real troubles detecting sound cards and others won't run fine with faster CPUs under real MS-DOS. That's why slowdown programs exist.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 6, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. Of course, I don't mean, that every game _works_ fine under DOS on every machine regardless of speed. If it was so, I'll don't need DOSBox at all. 😀 I mean only that I say: as far as I know, if game _detects_ sound card (and DoTT detects SB fine even on 20 000 cycles), there is no problem with _sound_ in the game later. I am wrong? Maybe. 😀
2. But anyway it was the question about DoTT. 😀 I can't pretend to know every game on PC. 😀 In that particular case when I try to run DoTT under Win98 or MS DOS 6.22, intro have all sounds (but game itself don't run 😀). So I may be pretty confident about what I said. 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some old Sierra games in particular have problems detecting a Sound Blaster 16 card on fast machines (an old trick was to press the "turbo" button on the 486 DX4, the audio would initialize, and then pressing the "turbo" button again to bring the speed up 😀 ).

Also, Day Of The Tentacle works great under ScummVM (http://www.scummvm.org), since it was geared to play LucasArts games specifically (unlike DosBOX which is aimed for playing, well, all of them 😀 )

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com