VOGONS

First post, by Dark-Star

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running Dosbox on a 400Mhz pc with 236 megs of RAM...Awhile ago I got the game from a swap meet and ran it on my laptop. It worked at the DOS prompt (hit F8, command prompt only) as long as I disabled EMS memory in config.sys like so:
DEVICE=c:\emm386 noems

For some reason my CTX laptop's ESS Audiodrive has -incredible- support for pure DOS sound without any drivers needed! Unfortunately 😒 the hard drive has started to go bad and I have discontinued using it as much as possible. But WOE (wrath of earth) refuses to run under windows or in a windows 'dos-window ' even with the EMS fix.

Then I got DOSBOX...

Now it runs, but I'm not sure what is the fastest 'output' option to use, and I need to know that badly! I really honestly need to have at least sound enabled as the game relys very much on sound warnings and cues. PC speaker is about useless. Anybody have some ideas?

P.S.---I might be able to send anyone who wants it the copy of the CD if you want to try it for yourself...just copy all the files into a directory and it runs! (as far as I can tell, the entire company is no longer in existance at all, and thus no one will give a flying rip.)

Give us a 640 x 480 screen, 256 colors, some time, and my own imagination...and we can *still* make exciting and beautiful games for decades to come.

Reply 1 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What are the specs of the system you are running dosbox on?
For the output, that depends on your system/gfx card, just try them
all and you'll know.
You should be able to get near the maximum of speed possible with
dosbox when using dosbox 0.65, setting cycles=auto, core=dynamic
(if the pc is an x86 one).

Reply 3 of 6, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WOE came out in '95 and uses an enhanced-wolfenstein 3D-style engine. I tried it on my 1Ghz machine, and it seems to be fairly demanding. (Sound started stuttering above 6000 cycles). I doubt it'll run smooth on a 400Mhz system. (Btw. cycles=auto seems to cause midi to not be detected, and core=dynamic doesn't really seem to help much). As with most 3D games, setting frameskip to 1 or 2 helps.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dark-Star

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx, everyone...I really needed some help. Yeah I know a 400 mhz PC isn't very good for this, but like they say - 'it ain't much, but it's all we've got'.

Although; which 'output' would be best on my current PC (surface, ddraw, etc)? I've got directx 7 at least, probably 8, for whatever that info is worth.

Hopefully I'll be getting a 1.5 Ghz laptop from a friend soon, but until then.

I don't really care too much about the midi being missed - the music to Woe is just... really creepy for some reason...I still have nightmares once in a while where I'm stuck in the game. 8-{

Anyway thank you all for the help. 😁

Oh! BTW: is there a walkthrough anywhere online or someone who knows how to get past this one part in the game

...you come out of a turbolift, there's a spaceship/small shuttle in a bay, and the exhaust vents are open and you get a message in the HUD saying to 'close and repressurize'.

I closed the vents, but can't figure out the three wheels where all the piping is. Help?

One last thing: to use the cheats you have to 'start the game with the WOE TranSend command line'. Just HOW the heck do you DO that?! 😕

Give us a 640 x 480 screen, 256 colors, some time, and my own imagination...and we can *still* make exciting and beautiful games for decades to come.

Reply 5 of 6, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Output mode doesn't usually make much difference, and the best one varies between graphics cards. I'd go for Overlay, DDraw, or OpenGL. Just try them all and see. The command line is what you type to load the game. So, "WOE TranSend". If you're using a frontend, I'm not sure how you'd do it. Depends on the frontend, but it might have a section for additional parameters or command line parameters or something, which would be "TranSend".

Reply 6 of 6, by Dark-Star

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Doh! After 15 years of computer experience I should have figured out the command line thing...guess I was so lustered I couldn't think.

(later) I did try that, and all the cheats work reliably except the 'warp to level' one - that usually locks up the game. Oh well!