VOGONS

First post, by AdrianWhite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to figure out why Kings Quest 6 is having problems running its introduction:

SOUND PROBLEM - Get "3001.syn not found" during intro as Cassima starts to talk. After doing some testing noticed that this error doesn't occur when running install.exe and choosing no speech.

GRAPHICS PROBLEM - While doing testing noticed that the animations in the intro ran perfectly using DOSBox5.8, whereas they are jerky and do not run properly with later DOSBox versions.

Reply 1 of 13, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The error message indicates that your KQ6 installation is lacking said file. The error does not occur when selecting "No Speech" because said file contains lip-sync information, and when there's no speech, there's no need to lip-sync, so the file is not accessed.
After a fresh install from the original floppy disks, said file is in an archive named SYNC.EXE, which is extracted when running KQ6.BAT for the first time.

Reply 2 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vasyl has already developed a patch for this animation issue (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func … 551&atid=467234) but it is not in CVS yet (probably due to some side-effects)

Reply 3 of 13, by AdrianWhite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is great, appreciate u guys helping me out-

@NewRisingSun: I must be losing it, this is just embarrassing - though in my defence its the first sierra .bat file ive seen to do something other than just execute sierra.exe (or scidhuv.exe)

@rcblanke: Just taking a look at Vasyl's patch right now - hopefully it will be integrated into the CVS soon 😀

Just a thought - dont suppose there's any chance Vasyl may be unaware that the intro animations run perfectly in DOSBox 0.58? I feel the least i can do is make certain of this..
[note: to make intro work in .58 must disable speech]

Reply 4 of 13, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I am perfectly aware of that. There were some significant changes in rendering introduced after 0.58, one of them broke KQ6 intro and a few other games. My patch changes rendering timings so those work properly. I don't think it introduces any artifacts but jury is still out waiting for Harekiet's final opinion on this. Meanwhite, the patch is in at least one of the popular builds -- look for ykhwong's build in CVS builds thread.

Reply 5 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it broke tyrian and second reality at my place
(a tearing line)
haven't tried them lately. both rely on the timer a lot as well. There were some fixes there. maybe they helped.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 13, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops, a little problem. There was a later change that rendered my patch non-functional. In file vga_draw.cpp, line 354:

//		VGA_DrawPart(vga.draw.parts_lines);
PIC_AddEvent(VGA_DrawPart,vga.draw.delay.parts/2,vga.draw.parts_lines); //Else tearline in Tyrian and second reality

After applying the patch uncomment the first line and comment the second one to get the intended patch functionality. I will update the patch on SF soon.
I've tried Tyrian and I don't see any tearing lines. IIRC, I could not reproduce this problem in the first place.

EDIT: The updated version of the patch is up.

Reply 7 of 13, by AdrianWhite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am very excited by the progress you are making Vasyl - KQ6 intro is a Big improvement with ur patch! (i finally worked out to set 'vsyncmode=on' in .conf file)

I also took a look at Second Reality to test ur patch - it still has rendering problems (mainly the moving smoke segment) - but frankly with the graphic intensity of 2nd Reality im not suprised.

Edit: Just noticed 2nd Reality already mentioned in ur post - and 'WoW!' Second Reality running perfectly would be progress indeed - Nice work! 😎

Reply 8 of 13, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Checked the Second Reality, does not look that different before and after the patch for me. The smoke part definitely flickers but it does that in unpatched build as well. I am more concerned about a kind of palette glitch just before the starship (or whatever it is) scene in the beginning, but it is also unrelated. I wonder if my patch makes rendering more sensitive to host driver/hardware/monitor timings.

Reply 9 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That palette glitch happens because it (for whatever reason) writes something
onto the screenthrough a bios/dos function, most likely some error or
info message that is not visible (and should not be).
For me it is only visible using the dynamic core and timing-related, does
not appear always.

Reply 10 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vasyl wrote:

...I've tried Tyrian and I don't see any tearing lines...

FWIW, neither do I using Vasyl's patch, on WinXP/ATI. No tearing line in surface, overlay or openGL mode.

Regards,
Ronald