VOGONS

First post, by Lopyswine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

help!!

i have gotten syndicate plus to run perfectly except it is not saving games... every time i restart i dont have any saved games to load.

when i am in game and i save, then i go back to main menu and click load and all the slots are empty.

i am running the newest version of dosbox and haven't had any trouble with game freezing or sound issues... just this not saving issue.

thanks,
Mario

Reply 1 of 16, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The process does seem to be a little confusing though it did work.
1. You can't save in game. If you escape to the menu you withdraw from the mission and have to start it over.
2. When a mission is completed go to Load and Save Game, select the slot, type in a name, click Save.
3. IF YOU DIDN'T CLICK SAVE NOTHING IS STORED!

Syndicate has a strange way of going about it. In other games click would select, then save would allow you to edit the name, and enter finishes the process. Here click allows you to edit the name, enter does nothing, and save updates the stored information.

Reply 2 of 16, by apedosmil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am having the same problem no matter what I do, the game doesn't save. I clicked it remaned it hit enter and clicked save it disappears.

I click off it and and click save it disappears.

Any ideas?

Reply 4 of 16, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I remember, this one was a CD game, and it created a SYND folder in C:\ were it created the sound config and the savefiles.

So, in order to make it work properly, you need to mount the game folder as D:\ and then add some other folder as C:\ so the savefiles can be created.

Reply 5 of 16, by Pabadackus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having the same problem. I added a save directory, it's not having any effect. The game does not appear to be adding any config or savegame files anywhere. Ideas?

Reply 6 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

How did you mount drives, install, and run the game?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 16, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my case, the game creates the following files in C:\ (or whatever is mounted as C:\):

- A SYND folder.

- Inside the folder, folders SAVE ans SAVE2 (for Syndicate and Syndicate - American Revolt) and SYND.INF, with the info of the souncard settings.

If this is not created, you may have a CD ripped copy.

Reply 8 of 16, by Pabadackus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, no Synd folder was created. I know it's a genuine copy, I've been sitting on it for 10 years in the vain hopes I could ever get it to run again. And now with this savegame issue, oy! what a tease! Anyway, I mount both the cdrom and my games folder. I've tried different methods with mounting the harddrive: I've tried mounting the whole thing, mounting just my games folder, and even manually creating a Synd folder and mounting that. With the cdrom I enter "mount d D:\ -t cdrom" and at the moment, I mount my harddrive with "mount e E:\games\" (e is my harddrive). As far as installation, and as previously mentioned, Syndicate operates a bit differently. So I merely open up the mounted D drive and type in 'synd' which runs the game. It then takes me though the language and audio options every time I run it, which obviously means that information is not being permanantly stored anywhere. And when attempting to save games, I've followed the prescribed methods above (in regards to SKARDAVELNATE's post). Still no luck. I have .70 of DOSBox, Windows XP, P4 1.80ghz, 512 mb ddr ram if any of that information is useful. Thanks for the help.

Reply 9 of 16, by Hillsy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It should be fine...

I have been playing the Syndicate Plus Edition. I agree with Neville, it does create the necessary folder and files. Mine has a Synd Folder with Save & Save2 folders and a config setup file. Also there is my game folder with a Syndicate Folder.

Why is your hard disk e: ? Maybe that is the problem, do you have a c: hard disk drive?

Dosbox likes c: and d: only.

This would be good for you...but keep reading...

mount c: c:\games ---> But you don't have a c: drive

mount d: d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

OR...this is best..

mount c: e:\games

mount d: d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

Then install it in dosbox and setup the sound.. then use synd to run the program.

your program (Syndicate) will still be installed on e:\games...but Dosbox will inter-predict this as c: (Which dosbox likes)

Hope this helps,

Reply 10 of 16, by Hillsy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just an update.. Tested working on Dosbox 0.70

What I suggest is:

Start a new game, set company logo etc..

set your research and choose some items.

now start the first mission and complete it.

now the map will appear flashing the second mission, before you click it go into the 'menu'

now choose Load & Save

Choose the first slot and type in a name for the save game.

Now click 'Save' and return to the main menu.

Finally quit to dos and restart the game.

Again from the menu choose Load & Save

then choose your save game.

then click Load.

now go back to the menu and click 'Begin Mission'...

Reply 11 of 16, by Pabadackus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG, it worked. I'm....so happy. Thank you so much. I am sending you all good juju in hopes that you will become....something awesome in this or the next life. Now to devote uncountless hours of quality sleep to the violent take-over of the planet. When the world is mine, you shall live very comfortably. Ok, I'll stop being really nerdy now. Thank you!!!

Reply 13 of 16, by Skyclad666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I also have the same problem saving the games when playing Syndicate. I use DOSBox 0.70 (but have tried an older and the result is the same). I have two different Syndicate versions. One from the CD with American Revolt and another with just the original Syndicate. The thing is that the CD-version has the sound but I can't save the games. The "plain" version has no sound, but saving works without problem. When I try to save, I get an error message in the DOSBox Status window saying Warning: file creation failed: c:\syndicat\SYND\SAVE\00.GAM The error message shows twice. The path it show is the ACTUAL path the game is installed on, not the virtually mounted path in DOSBox. Also, no SYND-catalog or conf-file is created as is with the plain version. Now I've tried the following:
- Playing the game from both C and D (virtual as well as the real)
- Copying the SYNDICAT-catalog to the C:\-root
- Fixing the paths inside DOSBox to match the mounted path with the real path
- Creating the \SYND\SAVE-catalog manually (both in BOSBox and in Explorer)
- Running the game without DOSBox (now this time the save worked, but naturally now sound was present)

None of these things work and neither do any of the stuff posted in this forum. Any one else have the same experience? The strange thing is that the plain Syndicate version works, but not the one I want to have (the one with sound).

Reply 16 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you d a "mount c c:\syndicat" then the game files would be in "C:\" and the game would have to be configured to look for games in "C:\SYND\Save".

Stick the "syndicat" directory in a "games" directory.

mount c c:\games\syndicat

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline