VOGONS

First post, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dqk_000.png
That's the screen I'm seeing when it should, in fact, look more like this:

DQOfKrynn-Title.png

Any ideas as to what I would need to do to fix this?

I'm using DosBox 0.65.

http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/scripts/graemlin.php

Reply 1 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No.

You can try different output types (surface, overlay, opengl, ddraw) and see if that makes a difference.

Also try older versions of DOSBox. Sometimes something in a new release breaks something that worked before.

Or try one of the experiemental versions (search the forum for "CVS"). Maybe the problem has been fixed and will be included in an experimental version.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 20, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've done some more testing and the problem appears to occur whenever configur has been used to change the configuration settings. eg. once it's been used, you can't play this game.

In fact, when I hit enter, on the screen above, the next screen - the "menu" screen - freezes and DOSBox, after a delay, crashes.

Doing "diff -r" between the orig. directory and the one I use with DOSBox tells me that disk1\dqk.cfg is the only file that's different. Copies of each of these can be found here:

http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/stuff/DQK.zip

Also, I tried running configur in Windows, without DOSBox, and then running DQK with the resultant dqk.cfg file and it worked just fine.

So basically, configur produces correct files when run in Windows. It, however, does not produce correct files when run in DOSBox.

Last edited by yawnmoth on 2006-11-21, 20:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 20, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yup - it is indeed the original game. Installed off of a 9-in-1 "gold" cd collection inside dosbox. All the install does, though, is copy files. Well, after prompting me for the display I have.

That said, even if it weren't the orig. game, there's still the discrepancy between the files configur produces in Windows XP and the files configur produces in DOSBox. The ones produced in Windows XP work whereas the ones done in DOSBox don't.

Reply 8 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You could do a binary compare (fc /b file1 file2 in winxp/9x) or use a
hexeditor to see what's different.
Also you might want to try loadfix before starting and/or configuring the game.

Reply 9 of 20, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is odd. Running configur, via Windows XP, no longer works. The one DQK.CFG file I have generated still works, but none of the others do.

As for the differences... well, I have a good one and a bad one in the above zip file. When I compared them, myself, there were a number of differences. The main one that comes to mind is null characters where, in the good one, there weren't.

Also, loadfix doesn't seem to make a difference.

Incidentally, if you are "in' DOSBox when it crashes, you'll be presented with a window, by Windows XP, saying that it's crashed. This gives you time to record the stuff in tbe background window. Namely, this:

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.65\dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Mounted FAT volume is FAT12 with 2863 clusters
SHELL:Multiple command on 1 line not supported
SHELL:Redirect output to {a bunch of extended ascii characters}

Anyway, I'm still thinking this is a bug. I don't know if I ever used the configur utility when I first got this game (back when 50mhz computers were brand new), but I do remember using the soundblaster sound and DQK isn't, by default, configured to use that.

Do you have this problem when you run the configur utility (assuming you have the game)?

Reply 10 of 20, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So were you ever able to get this working right? I have the originals although I also have a cracked version I am trying to install. In both cases I get the same problem. Can I manually alter the CFG file as with the other games?

Reply 11 of 20, by made

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hate to revive this ancient thread, but there was never a solution to this and the old classics deserve to be played, so here it is. 😉

I had the same problem when trying to play DQK from the compilation CD "Wizardworks". However, the version available from abandonia.com works just fine. It uses a different install menu, maybe that's why.

Make sure you chose just "C:" as installation directory, or you won't be able to save your sound settings.

Reply 12 of 20, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember when I was trying to install DQK from the Wizardworks CD-ROM back in the mid-'90s (pre-DOSBox), I never could get the graphics working right for that game from the CD-ROM version (although the other 8 games on there ran fine -- just really fast). At the time, I ended up buying Wizardworks' floppy-disk reissue version of that particular game, which at least got the graphics working (although I could only get the pathetic PC speaker sound 😢 ). I still have that Wizardworks CD-ROM -- now I just need to learn how to mount the CD-ROM drive within DOSBox, so I can install the Krynn series off the Wizardworks CD-ROM within DOSBox (because apparently neither Vista 64-bit nor Windows 7 can run the old DOS-based installation program on the Wizardworks CD-ROM).

Reply 15 of 20, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I did learn how to mount a CD-ROM drive within DOSBox, and I've played through both Champions of Krynn and Death Knights of Krynn (installed from the Wizardworks CD-ROM within DOSBox). I've just also installed Dark Queen of Krynn. The good news is that the VGA graphics installed without a problem (something I wasn't able to do from the CD-ROM without DOSBox 15 years ago on a Windows 95 system). The bad news is that the music is the awful PC speaker stuff (I thought I heard some of the combat sound effects the way they should sound with a sound card, but the music is definitely PC speaker garbage -- and I know the game supported at least AdLib (& probably SoundBlaster, too) when I originally played it in 1992 (installed from SSI's original floppy disks then). Has anyone been able to get DQK installed to their hard drive within DOSBox from the Wizardworks CD-ROM with the soundcard support working? 😅

Reply 16 of 20, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I realize this is an old necrotic post, but since it has been reintroduced and I have found a work around for it, thought I
would post my solution here also for anyone searching for it. This applies to the Wizardworks 9 game version of The Dark
Queen of Krynn. It has a couple of problems with it, first the directory structure it installs it to won't allow you to save and
load games. Second it's configur program for setting the sound device and telling it where your Death Knights of Krynn
install is, in order to load your old party, corrupts the dqk.cfg file and causes the graphics to be corrupted as shown above.
To get around this, install the game from the WW cdrom. It will install it to C:\wizworx\dqk. Now drag the dqk and
subdirectories and files to the main directory, so that it now has this structure C:\dqk. Then download, extract and copy into
the C:\dqk\disk1 directory this new dqk.cfg file attached below. It will set the game to use Vga graphics and Soundblaster
sound. And will tell the game that your Death Knights save games is installed to C:\dkk\save.

It's nice to be able to finally play this with the best video and sound options once more. I still can't believe how many ways
WW managed to mangle the install routines for this collection of games. Each game requires it own unique solutions to get
them to work, or to recognize the previous game in the series, to load previous characters and continue with them.

Ok now sleep, sleep my old thread and suffer no more...

Attachments

• Filename
    Dqkpartdeux.zip
    File size
    140 Bytes
    Downloads
    296 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 20, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally finished Dark Queen of Krynn -- for the first time ever, yet! 😁 (I had played it twice "back in the day," over 15 years ago, but kept getting whupped by the time I got to the Abyss -- not to mention I was usually suffering from "Dragonlance overload" by then, after already having nurtured a party through Champions of Krynn & Death Knights of Krynn, then slogging through all the tough high-level encounters in Dark Queen of Krynn. 😅 ) Time to rest, recuperate, & get a few "real world" chores done before deciding on which game to tackle next.

Reply 19 of 20, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Congrats on completing the series. It took some dedication with all of your hardware and program hiccups. I only completed
DQK and the latter goldbox games once, back in my early dos days. All of the manuals, paragraphs, code-words and floppy
management, where a real chore to go through even then. I've only gotten about halfway through POR so far, then dedication
waned and I went back to more modern games, that do all the work for you. Auto-mapping, in-game journals and quest info.

There's a mountain of ancient RPG's to tackle. And some great middle-aged RPG's as well. Just a few of my favorites in
the fantasy and sci-fi vein. Planescape Torment is a must if you're literate and enjoy reading. The Baldur's Gate and Icewind
Dale series, ID is mainly a combat-fest. Fallout 1 and 2, lots of combat, good story and humor. Just a few ideas if you
haven't experienced them yet. Though you may have already teched yourself out of compatibility with them already. Since
I doubt any of them will easily work under Vista or Win7 if at all. And of those, only Fallout 1 is also dos compatible, so
Dosbox-able, though sluggish and not as enjoyable as under Win98/xp.