VOGONS

First post, by Linamdar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, gotta say I love DOSBox.

I'm running v0.65 and ran through the first two Wing Commanders with little to no issue, however I've encountered a couple of issues with WC3.

First off, the video freezes after a second or two playing. I can hit escape past this, put I'd like to be able to see the cutscenes and starting movie.

Second, I seem to be suffering the joystick issue listed in other posts. I'm using a gameport joystick, but haven't been able to locate Hal9000s fix.

I'm running at a 10000 cycle time and have taken my cdrom down to 7x with no effect. I'm currently using Windows XP on an AMD X2 4800 with twin EN7900GT videocards

Many thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why are you running it at only 10000? Wing Commander 3 needed very powerful computer to run well - a 486 DX2 66 or even a Pentium. 10 000 cycles, i feel, will be much too slow and your CPU can handle MUCH more. Try 40 000 cycles in dynamic mode.

Also, movies played just fine for me - this may be linked to your cycles being too low.

Reply 2 of 8, by Linamdar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortuneately, anything beyond 10,000 cycles on this computer goes into sound skips very badly. At this setting, WC3 tells my I have an moderately fast cpu. I am also suffering from the double stroke keys (alt-x pops up then clears)

I did try 40,000 and had the same issues, but thank you for the advice

Reply 7 of 8, by Linamdar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, been playing around more with settings

The dynamic core at 15,000 cycles fixed my sound skipping issuesI can run 15,000 cycles just fine, even with dynamic core. Anything beyond the game basically runs too fast (what little animation I do get is in fast forward mode).

I'm going to work on the Alt-x problem with the information I found in another post, but I still have the video freeze problem.

Thanks all for your advice so far