VOGONS

First post, by Chrysalis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys thanks for all your hard work I remember trying IG1 with dos box a while ago and it didnt work but now with v0.65 it works quite well.

What I noticed with IG1 is it must be a very heavy game considering the default cpu cycles 3000 can barely do 1 fps 😀.

My post is to ask other IG1 fans what settings they consider optimal for this game.

I have a amd64 3500+ venice cpu and its able to achieve over 20000 cpu cycles without saturating real cpu utilisation. But I have noticed the following.

Upto around 12500 cpu cycles the game speeds up but then after that it remains as fast as it can get especially on starmap screen, the original game has always been laggier on this screen even in true dos but did run more responsive. The sound doesnt lag on videos now and the game is certianly playable with the exception mouse button pressing can sometimes lag slightly so have to hold mouse button bit longer to make sure command issued.

I noticed on dynamic core real cpu usage is very low under 5% but no speed up in the game and I read dynamic isnt stable so last thing I want is game crashing so I play on default core setting.

I assumed overlay and opengl settings would enable some kind of hardware acceleration for graphics but seem to have no performance difference over surface.

Frame skip set to 1 seems to help responsiveness a bit but going over that I feel has a negative impact in fluidity of the graphics and responsiveness.

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dynamic core is very stable in DosBox 0.65 and extremly stable in the latest CVS. So don't let that stop you from using it.

In fact in the next official version of DosBox it will automatically switch to dynamic core for you if it detects that the game needs it. (You can force it to normal if you need to).

There is no hardware acceleration for DosBox. The only time this will ever happen in DosBox is when Glide support is included.

If your CPU isn't being push to the limit by your game then messing with framekskip will do nothing but ruin your game experience.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by Chrysalis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah I am using the cvs now, tried direct3d option but was slower, the lack of hardware accel would explain that. Using ddraw with the auto adjusting core is faster then 0.65.

😀

however I had to use fixed cpu cycles instead of auto adjust, the auto adjust kept it very low and it couldnt even do 1fps.