VOGONS

First post, by Kilihari

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😁 Ok,

Here is my issue. The best game in the entire world, everyone quotes this game as being one of the first games to combine strategy, with a little bit of research new technology to stop the bad guys from destroying the human race type game. The old dos game is listed as abandon ware, but you absolutely need to buy this game because the controls are complex and it can be bought from www.ebay.com for about 10 dollars. This game is a must have for any collection, I have even bought the second instalment of this game Armour-Geddon II: Codename Hellfire for the Amiga, even though I don't have an Amiga. I think I am the only person in the world who has actually purchased that game. This game is especially important to actually purchase because of the manuals. Inside the manual it is written almost like a diary of the Armour-Geddon war. Without it, the game is kind of meaningless. This game has some SERIOUS story to it, if you collect old games like I do, YOU NEED THIS GAME. So buy it. This game is listed as right up there with X-COM: Enemy unknown and Dune with it's originality in terms of its ground breaking mix of strategy and action!

Anyways... here is the issue, when you play this game, you can now enjoy it in full 256 color mode. When you go into the game click on "Start Single" then click on "R&D” you see how you can easily scroll through all of the units? You can scroll from "Heavy Tank", "Light Tank", "Hover Craft", "Bomber", "Fighter", "Helicopter", "Laser", "Bomb", "Rocket", "Missile", "Retarded Bomb", "Night Sight", "Shells", "Drop Tank", "Tele pod", "Fuel pod", and finally to the "Cloaker". Now, all of these options should be available in the "EQUIP" menu. It seems as if the mouse is "clicking" too fast and it goes right past all the options, because if you go into the "EQUIP" menu, your only options for Equipment is as follows. "Heavy Tank", "Light Tank", "Hovercraft", "Bomber". It seems bad that the most important options are left out (Fighter, and Helicopter). Something is a little messed up. If you play the Amiga version you can access the "Fighter" and "Helicopter" are available right away. I don't understand this, I truly believe it is something either to do with dosbox or the versions of the games that I have. It is strange though, if I can remember from ten years ago correctly, these options were there at the start of the game... but.. now... These two options are GONE.... anyways; if someone could verify this problem, or shed any light on a solution I WOULD BE SUPER GREATFULL! I am trying to remake this game, but I don't know what the ending is, as I have never beaten it. I don't want to play the Amiga version as the graphics are WAY TOO TERRIBLE; the pc version is great for its time. Anyways, someone please help. Thanks everyone and cootoz too the guys who have put all of their effort into DOSBox, you guys rock!

I sincerely apologize for my last post and I will do my best to follow the rules and regulations of this fantastic board. I am absolutely amazed at the quality of posts here, so I hope this will be right up there with these. If anyone has any Armour-Geddon questions, please don’t hesitate to email me. Thanks!
-Joe.

Attachments

• edited2.JPG
    Filename
    edited2.JPG
    File size
    72.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This picture was created by me using my own screenshots on my computer with my purchased copy of the game, if somone wants verification, I can take a picture of my licking my armour geddon box and post it, thanks. :D jk, but I absolutly do own both versio
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by Kilihari

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, I have gotten everything to work, and I know what was wrong!

Ok, listen carefully! This game works 100% perfectly! It even works with sound blaster and all the vehicles are there. There seems to be a problem with the installer. When you install this game, it misses one important file.... sometimes?? I haven't got a clue, but when you reinstall this game all of the files will be installed.

You should see in your directory the following files.
ARMOUR. 691 KB (707,669 bytes)
ARMOUR.EXE 6.82 KB (6,991 bytes)
EXTRO. 406 KB (415,884 bytes)
INTRO. 383 KB (392,432 bytes)
PSYG. 8.82 KB (9,035 bytes)
SOUND.CFG 1 bytes (1 bytes)
SOUND.EXE 4.10 KB (4,203 bytes)

There should also be a .bat file in here (I have deleted it).

If you download this version from the internet you will already have a corrupted version (another good reason to buy the game, there is absolutely NO uncorrupted version on the internet, so BUY the game). It was a little difficult to get the proper version installed never mind a pirated version, so buy the original version and install it.

-Joe.

Attachments

• fighter.JPG
    Filename
    fighter.JPG
    File size
    48.32 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Fighter Jet From Armour Geddon
    File license
  • helicopter.JPG
    Filename
    helicopter.JPG
    File size
    45.9 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Helicopter From Armour Geddon
    File license

Reply 2 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Kilihari wrote:

There seems to be a problem with the installer. When you install this game, it misses one important file.... sometimes?? I haven't got a clue, but when you reinstall this game all of the files will be installed.

This installer - is that an EXE or an BAT file? There are some nice extensions to the COPY-command in the upcoming version of DOSBox that should fix some problems with BAT-based installers.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 5, by Kilihari

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
Kilihari wrote:

There seems to be a problem with the installer. When you install this game, it misses one important file.... sometimes?? I haven't got a clue, but when you reinstall this game all of the files will be installed.

This installer - is that an EXE or an BAT file? There are some nice extensions to the COPY-command in the upcoming version of DOSBox that should fix some problems with BAT-based installers.

😢 Ok, I am an idiot. I am writing this to be completely honest so no one with have similar confusion. Here is what happened, here is how to fix a similar error. In the beginning, I saw that under v0.65 of DOSBox that Armour-Geddon is supported. So I loaded dosbox and I have a new computer, so it does not have a disk drive. So I didn't load the game from the original disks. I downloaded the game from the Internet (MANY DIFFERENT PLACES, MANY DIFFERENT COPIES). I installed this game and was having so many problems with it (ALL OF THE COPIES), so many errors including the fact that I couldn't choose the "Jet" and the "Helicopter". I then decided to load the game from the original disks. So I removed the disk drive from one of my old crappy computers and installed it in my new computer and proceeded to load Armour-Geddon. The installer gave me errors and I was again having great difficulty playing the game, here is where I am an idiot. I didn't delete the corrupted, damaged files that I had downloaded from the Internet. The installer could not overwrite the pirated version. So, I completely removed the directory, reinstalled the game, and then volia! No problem at all! This was a VERY difficult game to get completely working under dos when I had my old computer, it was EVEN more difficult to get the Sound Blaster working properly as you had to make sure that you had QEMM Memory manager operating perfectly. DOSBox does everything flawlessly. I am impressed and amazed at this program, I honestly think this is the best emulator out there, as I have tried them all.

I think I am writing this post as a warning for all those who download from the Internet. Many of the posts on this forum are what happens when you download pirated games or "Abandon ware" from the Internet, this is my first lesson in this case. If I had just installed the original disks, there would have been no problems at all, however, I downloaded a copy from the Internet which resulted in many weeks of frustration and pain. I honestly will never do this again. I truly believe that if you do not install the game from the original floppy's or CD's then you really can't be sure if your version of the game is corrupted as mine was or it is a problem with DOSBox, you can't really be sure if your post is a valid post in this forum.

😳 Heed my advice , I learned the hard way, buy your games, install from the original disk set. 😳

-Joe.

Reply 4 of 5, by Kilihari

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, there was one last issue with this game, many annoying sounds would happen and colors would get distorted at odd periods of time. It started to make me go a little crazy, so I tried many different variations of options. Anyways, I have now been playing this game successfully for many hours after turning the pc speaker off in the configuration file. This one options when off enables you play the game completely error free, I am so happy. If there are any comments or questions, please feel free to email me or message me on MSN. Thanks for all your help people!

Attachments

• config.GIF
    Filename
    config.GIF
    File size
    30.43 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Here is an updated smaller picture of my config file.
    File license
Last edited by Kilihari on 2007-02-01, 12:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Only 1 comment: JPEG's are great for real pictures (people, dogs, flowers). For artificial pictures, PNG or GIF produces smaller files.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions