VOGONS

First post, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently got a copy of Riana Rouge and found that the file GAFTEST\NW\B3.MOV on disc 3 shows a very weird behavior - you can't access it under WinXP! You can't run it, copy it, and even trying to look at the file's properties will not show date or size. It's not even assigned the QuickTime icon like the other .MOV files on the CD.
However, the file is there, as utilities like CD\DVD Diagnostic or UltraISO will reveal. With utilities such as these you can even copy the file to the harddrive and play it flawlessly. I was sure the file is corrupted if special utilities are required to access it, but I've decided to check on Win95/98 and DOS - since WinXP identifies the main EXE of this game as a non-Win32 application and it nevertheless works on Win98, I thought maybe the same will happen with this file...

I was right - on Win95/98 and MS-DOS 6.22, the file behaves just like any other file. You can't tell there's something wrong with it. This is very odd and I've never encountered such a thing before.

How does all this relates to DOSBox - well, if running DOSBox under WinXP, you can't see this file (I tried the dir command, it's as if the file is not on the CD). If running DOSBox under Win98, the file is there and accessible like any normal file (I've tried DOSBox 0.63 under Win98 and DOSBox 0.63 and 0.65 under WinXP; I've tried all types of CD-ROM mounting including mounting it as a regular folder).

Obviously DOSBox is not accurate enough in this case, since it should show the file under WinXP as well. I saw this as a chance to make DOSBox a little more accurate so I decided to report it.
I've created a 3.5MB BIN/CUE image that contains enough files to reproduce the problem. You can get it here. The problematic file is GAFTEST\NW\B3.MOV.

Reply 3 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DOSBox is not a magician. If WinXP can't see the file, then DOSBox running on top of WinXP, can't see it either. So if anything, it is a problem with WinXP.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

depends actually.
in iso mode dosbox is certainly more then avarage.
The file could be found by dosbox if the directory listing of a cdrom would go by the lowlevel cdrom functions instead of relying on the host.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 10, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

depends actually.
in iso mode dosbox is certainly more then avarage.
The file could be found by dosbox if the directory listing of a cdrom would go by the lowlevel cdrom functions instead of relying on the host.

Yes, when mounting the BIN/CUE directly in DOSBox the file is viewd correctly (using DOSBox it can even be copied to a local drive and then played under WinXP with no problem since after all it's a regular .MOV file). So it's probably the best way to mount weird CDs like this one.

The phenomenon itself is still interesting though - how can a specific file, which is just one .MOV file out of many similar files on a regular CD, behave so oddly under WinXP, while all other files behave correctly?

Reply 7 of 10, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

it could be some form of copy protection.

That's what I thought at first, but since the game was made for Win9x, it doesn't make sense that the copy protection will take effect only on WinXP...

Reply 9 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even if someone has it, you won't get it here. Questions like that are not welcome here AFAIK.

Edit: corrected typo.

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2007-04-14, 09:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 10, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
houseplantguy wrote:

I just got Riana Rouge as well, but the second CD is too scratched to be readable. Does anyone have an image of Riana Rouge CD #2?

As ADDiCT said, questions like that aren't really welcome here. However, if you contact your local computer stores you should be able to find a recovery option. Some places have a way of resurfacing CDs and DVDs that have become scratched up. As long as the disk isn't actually cracked, and none of the scratches actually penetrate the surface layer, it can be completely recovered. There is a charge, but I don't believe it will be all that much. My brother-in-law recovered his WinXP install CD that way (as Microsoft wanted to charge him almost as much as just buying a new one would cost.) Since he was un-employed at the time, I don't think it cost him all that much to have it done.

Feeding Dragon