VOGONS

First post, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I run kq7 in dosbox its pretty choppy in the animations. The load game screen takes a long time to fade in also. My core is on dynamic and I run on full-screen. Raising the cycles would theoretically fix it but it would be much higher than I can run. 50000 was my limit and the choppiness was still noticeable. When I put it on auto, it was obviously raising them higher then that. It looked pretty good but it would glitch too much (probably because the numbers were fluctuating so much). Changing the frame-skip does nothing.

kq9save#.png

Reply 1 of 2, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This may be a bit of a long-shot, but I have had some Sierra games have trouble with too many cycles.
Either Gabriel Knight 1 or Space Quest 6 (I can't remember which), one ran fine at 10000 cycles, the other if I ran it at more than 5000 I would get a bit of choppiness for the sound. Didn't have any speed problems with it, but then I never took it higher than 10000 either.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to try running the game at lower cycles and see if it helps?
(On the other hand this was several years ago, so Dosbox has improved since then. Probably wouldn't hurt to try...)

Reply 2 of 2, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a bit confused but pretty much satisfied with the performance I've gotten. By the way dougdahl thanks for responding, but yeah it just slowed down. It turns out at 30,000 cycles the in-game animations are fine and the sound isn't choppy as it gets at higher cycles than that. I had been testing how the animation was by the load game screen fade in which still isn't as fast as it should be (I could get it that fast with vdmsound). Also some of the in game "cutscenes" (such as when you look into the water at that statue) were a little choppy. But I'm basically happy now. Geez sorry guys, I have a habit of making threads and then resolving the problem myself via founding out that I'm dumb and made a mistake or overlooked something.

kq9save#.png