VOGONS

First post, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With the exception of Terminator 2029, none of these games worked right in the old DOSBOX. So I was eager to try them in the new. These are the problems I am now having. Hopefully they can be fixed.

Terminator Future Shock : The game appears to work fine except that the resolution is stretched like a widescreen TV. If I manually set resolution in DOSBOX.CONF to 800x600 it looks right, but is in a box in the middle of the screen (surrounded by black). If I set it to 640x480 it is stretched and does not appear right ! ?

Terminator Rampage : Runs more sluggishly than 0.65!

Terminator Skynet : I get a "error : sysinit (couldn't open archive)" message.

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Are you trying to run Terminator Future Shock in full-screen mode or what?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Hazekel wrote:

If I manually set resolution in DOSBOX.CONF to 800x600 it looks right

Which resolution? fullresolution ?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 12, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found the problem on fullscreen resolution. ASPECT must be set to TRUE and the SCALER must also be set to NONE. All other combinations result in a skewed picture in fullscreen mode. Not sure why.

This leaves Terminator Skynet and Terminator Rampage. If anyone has solutions on these, please let me know.

Reply 5 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Future Shock uses a resolution of 320x200, always. It's no game specific bug.

The SkyNET bug could be related to a bad rip, because it's flawless when you install from CD (HMMM)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 12, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played "Terminator - Rampage" and "Skynet" on v0.65.

"Rampage" worked fine if slowly, and "Skynet" was playable in VGA mode at 15,000 cycles. SVGA did not work, as it doesn't either on v.70.

The problem Hazekel has with "Skynet" is probably a folder issue, the game has a INSTALL.DAT file that remembers the dir of first installation, and if it doesn't match DOSBox mount it refuses to load.

You can edit INSTALL.DAT with NotePad and check the dir. Mine reads as follows:

[skynet]
installpath=c:\skynet
sourcepath=c:\skynet
type=net_large

So all I had to do is mount the dir as c:\skynet.

Reply 8 of 12, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red_avatar wrote:

Future Shock & Skynet are perfectly playable in VGA in 0.70. Skynet crashes in VESA though. And even in VGA it's sometimes a bit odd. That's without the patch though.

Interesting. I got it working but with the crashes. I checked the cfg files for SKYNET and it only sets sound devices. When I check DOSBOX.CONF it is set for VGA, but still crashes. I don't remember any VESA setting when installing the game, so does it select the video mode automatically? Why is it crashing?

Reply 9 of 12, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the exception of Terminator 2029, none of these games worked right in the old DOSBOX

I had no sound with the original Terminator game and the T2 Arcade game. Other than that The Terminator games worked perfectly fine for me in 0.65. Haven't tested with 0.70 yet.

Reply 10 of 12, by maxxus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SKYnet works fine for me (although I did have and fix the archive not found problem thanks to this forum) and 640x480 mode even works, except for the fact that it's slow as hell 🙁 This is basically exactly the same situation as with dosbox .65 and referenced here: Terminator Skynet problem

Reply 11 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried running the Skynet version of Future Shock. It crashes or freezes a few minutes after starting a game. Seems to be related to dynamic core because a message comes up in the DOSBOX console window about dyncore causing an exception, I believe. But that was only on the time the game crashed. When the game locked up it just looked like it was running fine but wouldn't respond.

VESA SVGA works ok and fast enough on my Pentium M 2.13. Loading screens take a long time because the auto cycle detection drops way down to like 500 cycles.

It did the crash with DOS32A. With DOS4GW it locked up. Not sure if extenders are related to the crash or not.

Both games are patched. Skynet to 1.01 and FS to 1.30.